Encryption password skipped at boot time after update

The latest core update on PureOS,

vrata@librem:~$ uname -a
Linux librem 4.16.0-1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.16.5-1 (2018-04-29) x86_64 GNU/Linux

skips the encryption password at boot time. The boot process attempts to load the boot image (the progress bar appears) but stays frozen with no progress for a 10 to 15 secs or so, then eventually the encryption password input field appears. from then on, everything works as requried.

Is there a boot setting that says how long to try and attempt to read the boot image (from the encrypted disk) before giving up and requesting the encryption password?

[EDIT]
I realise this is only the case when my laptop crashes either due to low battery issue or due to a screen freeze which has been happening rather often. Restarting normally loads the encryption password request immediately at boot up. Most likely some settings must be saved properly which are not when the system crashes.

Yours sounds like a slightly different problem than other boot issues making the rounds recently. Nevertheless, as Kris points out here, there was some sort of entropy issue introduced in 4.16.0-1.

You may want to make sure you have the plymouth-themes 0.9.3-3pureos1 and fontconfig 2.13.0-5 updates. They might take care of your problem too.

1 Like

Indeed, that does look very similar. I just had another power-drain crash (my ups was off and I didn’t realise I was running on battery). When I booted back up it went straight to the encryption password screen… so all good here.

I also checked and I got the latest plymouth-themes and fontconfig packages. Thank you for the heads up!