People Who Own a Librem - How Good Are The Displays?

Just asking this, because there doesn’t seem to be much specification about Librem displays…

One of the very first things I notice on a computer is the display. I notice that different displays really display colors and contrasts differently, and my current display is described as a “WHD LED” display and it’s alright. It’s old, from 2012, but it’s better than some monitors I’ve used. I’ve used 4K monitors that irritate me even.

Anyway, I figured it was worth bringing up because there doesn’t seem to be any details about the display. I watch a lot of movies and anime and the likes on my machine, so a high-quality monitor is a must, no entry-level IBM Thinkpad displays or anything.

Hi,
current Librem 15v3 have pretty good TN displays, the Librem 13v2 have nice IPS panels. Both are probably not the brightest in class, but I use them at max 50% brightness which is bright enough for me - your mileage may of course vary :slight_smile:

Cheers
nicole

1 Like

Hmm, I had the impression that the 15v3 had a IPS screen too (which in part motivated my choice for the 15v3 over the 13v2). I’d really rather prefer those specs to be more clearly stated at the product pages, as it turned out that the second RAM-slot was removed in the 15v3 too, without mention.

1 Like

yes, same here I rarely need to go above 50%. But I found a couple of times the need to enhance the contrast.

Relevant topic:

@nicole.faerber could you please answer that?

Hi,
frankly I can not properly answer the PWM display question. The displays use PWM with an LED backlight, the PWM frequency / duty cycles are determined by the chipset driving the PWM, in this case AFAIK the i915. We did not change this in any way so the numbers that apply to the i915 driver should apply here too. But again, this has not yet been investigated deeply and doing so is IMHO a major undertaking.

Some information on this can be found in this mail thread:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=159817

What I will do is to go back and verify the PWM source for you so that we can be sure that it comes from the i915.

Cheers
nicole

1 Like

OK, just checked the schematics we have and also on a running system that the internal display backlight is controlled by a PWM and that this PWM is controlled by the chipset integrated graphics, i.e. i915. So any settings to the PWM i915 backlight PWM apply to current Librem laptops.

Cheers
nicole

1 Like

edit just realized this link is in the link @nicole.faerber posted >.> but yeah XD

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/backlight#Backlight_PWM_modulation_frequency_.28Intel_i915_only.29

1 Like