2G, 3G, or 4G on Librem 5

You said yourself you saw the 4G icon. I do believe there are those who have tried to get VOLTE working on their L5s, but as I recall the results were inconclusive.

This is confusing.

Are you talking only about voice calls? Are you talking only about data calls? Are you talking about both? How are you categorising VoLTE?

As @Torrone says or implies above, there is no such thing as a 4G voice call, and VoLTE is the “workaround” for that i.e. a way of using the greater aggregate bandwidth available from 4G for making calls.

Prising the necessary information and support for VoLTE out of the relevant players is probably a future battle.

As presumably none of us has an actual phone to play with, we can only really speculate. If you want an official statement from Purism as to what the current state of VoLTE is and what the future plans are for VoLTE, you would need to ask Purism.

Just for fun:

• Lack of VoLTE (if that is the case) could be a blessing in disguise, if it pushes more people into more secure calling options.
  • If you have a VoIP provider, you can presumably make insecure phone network calls via that mechanism.
2 Likes

Someone in Pine64 forum seems to got Verizon VoLTE to work on the Pinephone on Debian Phosh and Modem Manager:

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=9150&pid=64017#pid64017

any good GUI would let you manually choose between 2G,3G or 4G as 5G is not an option for now (phew!)

it’s probably a good idea to have your phone on manual network selection and network mode than auto for the battery sake … otherwise the phone will keep searching and choosing for you the newer technology …

my bb-q10 stays firmly on 2G most of the time when i have my network-radio-ON and if i set it to auto it immediately jumps to 3G or 4G or the in-between naming-conventions as they are called

it’s been discussed already here in the forums …

I’m not familiar with the underpinnings of calls, but from my testing 4G data works fine. Once a call is placed or received, the connection drops down to 2G or 3G.

6 Likes

It looks like hackersgame has some good information for us. If the data is 4G, that should suffice. I used a verizon reseller for a few years and never had better than a 3G connection there. I noticed no degradation anywhere I went within the verizon network that way. In my mind, 5G is not significant. At 5G frequencies, the moisture in the air causes significant range limitations. So if you are very close to a tower, you might get insanely fast internet speeds. Otherwise, you get 4G which is good enough for me.

1 Like

Happy to hear that data does support 4G.
What would be the advantage of voice calls over 3G or 4G?

I am guessing that as the major carriers move toward 4G and 5G, that 2G and 3G towers might become fewer and further between. If this is the case, you may not be able to make calls in those areas if you only have 2G and 3G. For 2G and 3G, the data connection is slower than 4G.

2 Likes

2G is less securely encrypted than 3G or 4G (and creates other sec problems) but takes less power and IoT doesn’t need all the bandwith. 2G and 3g are being phased out globally (in some places it has been done, other operators do it in about 1 to 5 years). 4G will be around for a long time still. 5G has a bit less range/penetration than signals used in previous standards and thus they are going to need more towers, so yes, fewer indeed, in comparison as well.

1 Like

unless data connection moves to the star-link satellite sub-orbit mesh-network … i’d rather not encourage having microwave canons pointed at us …

The advantage of voice over 4G is

• you can carry more calls (advantage to the carrier, not you, but that could have flow-on benefits to you) and/or use higher quality audio
  • 3G will in the future be phased out (switched off) and the frequencies potentially used for other things (but that would be some years away) so hopefully we’ve got VoLTE working by then
2 Likes

Do we know that the Librem 5 will not support VoLTE, or is that an assumption?

If the modem/baseband module supports VoLTE, then it might come “for free”. (As mentioned by @tg_gpm in another thread.)

The PLS8 module supports VoLTE, but I can’t find a good datasheet that says whether the BM818 module supports it. I’m hopeful that it does.

It might not have occurred to Purism that people would be looking for a 4G icon in their demonstrations. If they knew people were looking for a 4G icon and wanted to demonstrate it, they would still have to find a physical location where the cellular network tends to put calls through on 4G.

Even if a phone supports calling over 4G, the network doesn’t necessarily prioritise its use. Where 2G and 3G remain available, networks tend to push voice calls onto them, because it’s an efficient way to use the spectrum until they are able to get rid of 2G and 3G and reallocate the spectrum to 4G and 5G.

I don’t think you can safely assume that the older technologies will use less power. Depending on the local conditions and how much you’re using the data connection, the opposite may be true. Though that doesn’t overturn your basic point: set it to whichever one is the least power-consuming.

It’s a mistake to think that 5G implies high frequencies. In the short to medium term, yes, 5G will be mostly deployed at high frequencies, because those are the bands that aren’t already being used for the older standards. They are the low-hanging fruit.

But in the long term, as more people get 5G-capable phones, network operators will be able to reallocate an increasing proportion of their lower frequency spectrum for use with 5G instead of for 2G, 3G and 4G. When that happens, people will start to experience longer-range 5G signals.

I hope so, too, but I’m still not 100% confident that it will.
I think it’s high time that some of the early adopters share their experience, there should be at least someone with the early adopter hardware out there who could.

2 Likes

No, we don’t.

Only if the provider in that location also supports it and they are compatible.

In the case of the modem, it is possible that a future firmware update will add the support (if it’s not already there). Or maybe that will never happen and one would be looking to replace the modem.

All just speculation.

2 Likes

It is my understanding (and I could be wrong about this) that 5G is deployed only in the higher frequency ranges because it offers and thus requires much more bandwidth per user. The available amount of spectrum increases exponentially as you go up in frequencies.

My understanding is that initially 5G will be deployed in frequencies that are similar to what 4G is already using today. In the future 5G will be deployed in much higher frequencies. In the future of the future 5G may be deployed in insanely much higher frequencies.

As you say, there isn’t major benefit in deploying 5G in frequencies that are similar to those already being used today because there is only so much bandwidth that you can eke out of a given frequency (the bandwidth being proportional to the frequency, all other things being equal). My understanding is that the choice for 5G today is motivated by constraints of existing hardware.

1 Like

You’re right, that’s obviously the motivation for starting to use the higher frequencies. 5G is the vehicle for achieving that, because it hasn’t been done before. But that doesn’t mean the lower frequencies are therefore useless. You said yourself that there is a range or signal strength advantage to using lower frequencies. We still need them, especially in less densely populated areas that can’t have a base station every two inches. Hence, 5G supports lower frequencies as well, and can use them a bit more efficiently than the older generation standards, when the time comes.

I think there are two main bands that 5G is being deployed in today. Some network operators are initially only going for the band that is just above 4G, and some are going for the insanely high frequency band first, or they’re deploying a mixture of both of them. I don’t imagine any network operators are replacing 4G service with 5G yet, but I could be wrong. (I can imagine that might happen in Korea or Japan before it happens in The West.)

1 Like

so why does 5G need deploying on 450 volt LED lamp posts near crops and farm-lands ? have you seen any change in insect activity where that happened ?

I think you know you’re talking nonsense. :slight_smile:

I don’t want to drag this thread off topic with a rebuttal. Start a new thread if you want to talk about that.

1 Like

Big zoom on the 4G logo (twice!) in the last promotional clip :sweat_smile:

1 Like