3G/4G modems - Alternatives?

PinePhone will use this one:

But I don’t understand if it’s a M.2 compatible module or not and if there is a free driver.

It looks like an LGA module, so not an M.2 module i.e. not physically compatible.

1 Like

The modules have a naming convention:

LTE A EG## = LGA
LTE A EM## = M.2
LTE A EP## = Mini PCIe

To start with with have possible hardware to give access to more bands and frequencies. If it isn’t already open source it is something we can work on.

We can’t change the hardware after it’s installed but we can update the firmware.

3 Likes

You are correct. It is Cat 20. My bad.

I couldn’t find anything on the EM16 either. I am going to contact Quectel Wireless Solutions regarding the status of their drivers and firmware. I will enquire about the EM16 as well.

If anyone has any other suggested questions to ask please reply and I will add them to my message.

All the questions that I can think of:

• what variants and bands for the EM20 (and the EM16)?
  • confirm support for voice (and VoLTE) on each model
  • is Linux driver open source?
  • is there firmware to be loaded into the device by the operating system and if so is that open source?
  • the doco suggests that the EM20 is compatible with the EM16 but what about compatibility between the EM06 and the EM16/20?

I think there might be another pitfall to watch out. The dev board schematics locks to me much like the wwan m.2 port is wired via a usb 2.0 hub only. No pcie, no usb 3.0. If this holds true for the final phone watch out that the modems are usb 2.0 compatible and mind that this limits the bandwidth to 480mbit/s, so no need for high speed lte (like 2Gb/s down) modems to use.

Maybe some one from purism could provide some more information which modems they looked at an why certain ones weren’t chosen. I imagine a table to evaluate a the options internally by purism.

1 Like

Ohh and i found this shop giving an overview of the Quectel modems. Seams quiet pricey. EM20 being just a much as the hole librem 5 phone :smiley:

The EM06-A looks like a good option for my needs. USB interface, M.2 package, states 2 x SIM interfaces, supports voice and supports all the bands needed for my carrier.

Would a 2G modem work too? Because 2G uses lower frequencies I believe it’s much healthier than the higher ones.

you can manually set to use prefered 2G networks in the celular connection settings if you don’t want the phone to auto scan and use the higher ones. but 2g is pretty useless when it comes to internet data.

1 Like

In some countries the answer would be a definite “no” - because the 2G network has been switched off - in order to redeploy the frequencies for other things perhaps. You should check that for your own country.

The low speeds that 2G offers would be fairly painful for many use cases.

3 Likes

Will Librem 5 owners need to hack their modems in order to have mobile carrier connectivity?

Too early to say and it depends on what country you are in.

I have a reply from Quectel.

Blockquote

1. are the LTE-A EM05/06/16/20 available for purchase by the general public?
    Currently, for M.2 for module, our main stream product was EM06/12/20, EM06 and EM12 already have sample. EM20 need to wait for to July.

Blockquote

1. Are the Linux drivers for the previous mentioned modules open source or could they be open sourced?
    You just need to modify system some file to install the module driver for Linux. I think it should belong open source.

Blockquote

1. Can all those modules support voice and VoLTE?
    Yes, support.

Blockquote

1. Is there firmware to be loaded into the device by the operating system and if so is that open source?
    Currently, the module will loaded firmware from product line. But it was not open source.

Blockquote

1. What variants and bands for the EM20 (and the EM16)?
    I suppose you ask about EM20 and EM12. Please refer to below detail:

Blockquote

1. The documents suggest that the EM20 is compatible with the EM16 but what about compatibility between the EM06, EM05 and the EM16/20?
    Almost all the Pin functionality are compatible as they have the same form connector.
6 Likes

Most of EU member countries plan to have (by Decision (EU) 2017/899) assigned the 700MHz band (known as APT700 or B28) to mobile operators by June 2020. Therefore, EU is being very positive to this implementation started by the Asia-Pacific Telecommunity.
LTE_700MHz_Jul2018_Final
For example, from what is to be understood (between the lines), Republic of Croatia plans to leave (free up) LTE 700 MHz spectrum by the 30th June of 2020 as it is currently used by its digital terrestrial television (still transmitting 576p, a common “square-pixel” representation of 625/50 PAL/SECAM, under 10-years binding concession agreement). To sum up, coexistence of new services (like IoT) in the 700 MHz band with DTT is (only) possible if DTT is limited from 470 to 694 MHz leaving 703-788 MHz spectrum free for B28 band.

Back to topic, with appropriate firmware support my eventual choice for B28 would be affordable Telit LN941A6-E1 or, if something better needed, Telit LN940A11/LN940A9. @Torrone, yes, for L5 developer board Quectel EG25-G module (Qualcomm MDM9207 Cortex A7 @1.3GHz running Linux kernel) looks promising (including B28 and VoLTE) and good testing choice with Mini PCIe form factor, just like Simcom SIM7100E-PCIE (Qualcomm MDM9215). Price for Quectel EG25GGB-MINIPCIE-S of around 50.00 EUR looks acceptable as well, yet firmware might be questionable, I don’t know. Anyway @36w4r6, I can certainly cope with the fact that Quectel EM20 module for 699.00 USD is not something I need.

2 Likes

I guess my question should have been clearer. Compatible means a lot of things: physically compatible, electrically compatible, software interface compatible.

To minimise the workload on Purism, you would want them to be as compatible as possible.

I think we’ve established that the EM20 is too fast and hence pointless. So probably more interested in the lower spec modules e.g. EM16. (The EM06 already has reasonable documentation for blueskying.)

1 Like

The Telit LN940A variants do look promising. Thank you for linking them. I couldn’t find any reference to them handling PCM audio. I will admit it has only been a quick look.

Our biggest catch is that we need an M.2 NGFF modem card that handles PCM and VoLTE and works on the bands in our respective countries.

If we could have a global standard that would simplify this whole process.

I have come across many modems that would work brilliantly and be reasonably priced, however, they would need to be mounted to an M.2 daughter board and I believe that to be bound the scope of those needing these alternatives.

The M.2 form factor is standardise. Power pin locations, voltages, board size and mounting points are defined.

Our hurdle is the drivers determine what data comes through which of the data/address pins. The locations of the antenna connectors may also be different.

As I suspect the modem card being used by Purism isn’t custom it should follow most practices relating to M.2 modem cards.

I have the contact details for the local representative from Quectel. Hopefully I can call tomorrow and get some more details.

I doubt many people would need more than the EM06. I like the EM12 because of its global nature. The EM20 would be pointless. The pricing on these cards represent the market they are intended for. These are used in M2M devices.

1 Like

Here are same User Guides (under Downloads) for Telit M.2 (NGFF) card. Please skim some if any helps in anyway, even to eliminate Telit modem card I would consider this as progress as well. Here are Telit EU Declarations of Conformity so if any precise info needed maybe you may try to get it from Telit Communications S.p.A in Trieste, Italy. @36w4r6, thank you for your understanding and support.

Just to clarify, Any alternative modems that we come up with that work for our carriers will be an additional cost. The EM06 looks to sell for ~$200, the EM16 is ~$399. Will the Librem 5 be sold without a modem at a lower cost or will I have to buy a phone not for my region and spend an additional 200 bucks to bring it to a functional state?
I really like the idea of the Librem 5 and want one but I don’t think I will be able to afford one that works in my area.