3G/4G modems - Alternatives?

The information seems to be a bit all over the place. I guess untill Purism says something official we won’t know. In saying that there is no current Gemalto PLS8 M.2 modules which would suggest the one one being used by Purism is custom.

But if the module used by Purism is custom, and has the sim slot on it, this means that no other standard modem can be used, because there’s no other one with the sim slot on it. So if we use another modem, we would end up with a phone that has no sim slot. :thinking:

@Caliga, even though your reaction is just a little bit late I am thanking you for bringing us to the right path. I noticed myself this issue but didn’t react at all. Now when it is all clear I hope @36w4r6 will continue with his great work of finding the best solution for B28 band on M.2 expansion slot.

1 Like

But it could be custom (in order to get M.2) but without a SIM slot. Until someone from Purism wants to provide actual information it’s all just speculation.

It doesn’t say that the SIM card slot is intergrated on the modem M.2 Card (it’s not).
It says that the first version of the L5 can’t handle more than one SIM.

I think they repeated the info sufficiently often. No slot on it, not custom made.

Basically says, if the m.2 module you find is supported on Linux, has the desired bands and codecs n stuff, it’ll work.
So summary:

• nobody sells m.2 modems with SIM slot
  • Purism has that slot on the mainboard
  • every standard module is a possible candidate
5 Likes

It’s really the modem chip that handles the number of Sims. The PLS8 can handle 2 Sims.

Blockquote
2 UICC (SIM/MIM) interfaces 1.8V / 3V from Rel.3.0 onwards and for PLS8-X /-VSerial Interface (UART)

As taken from the PLS8 documentation.

This is in general correct bt as already has been stated here, the M.2 cards do not come with SIM slots nor eSIM (embedded SIM) so all SIMs need to be placed on the phone side (mainboard). There we have space constraints for only one SIM car, I’m afraid.

Cheers
nicole

6 Likes

I don’t plan on stopping. Also feel welcome to contribute to the list of options if you find one.

One thing I have noticed while talking to suppliers (manufacturers and designers not distributors) is a lot of what’s advertised online is inaccurate and no longer available. Also prices are considerably higher than they should be.

3 Likes

The Quectel units are eSIM capable. The problem as described to me is that carriers haven’t taken up the system yet.

Well, OK, let’s say, if the eSIM is included in the M.2 card, then it could work, though we (Purism) will not have software for that any time soon. Managing the eSIM is non trivial (to get the authorization data from the provider into the eSIM etc.).

Cheers
nicole

4 Likes

I wasn’t suggesting that it be used. Not that it can be used. The only device with approval anywhere to use eSIM with carrier switching is the iPad.

I was just pointing out that the manufacturers and designers already include this feature if it becomes an option.

While I have your attention can we confirm a few things if possible?

Is the SIM card slot on the main board?

Does the design allow for the high/low voltage detection of a SIM card?

Is it only the USB 2 interface that is being used on the PCIe bus for data?

Are the PCM channels being used for non VoLTE voice audio?

Thank you in advance.

I am not sure about all the questions, but let’s see:

• the SIM card slot will be integrated onto the main board and the SIM card as well as the microSD card will sit on a tray
  • I am not sure what you mean with high/low voltage SIM card detection?
  • we do not use any PCIe interface to the modem. The M.2 socket for the modem will not have PCIe signals routed to it. The modem control and data will run over USB interface, the audio data will be routed over the PCM interface of the card. We also expect that VoLTE audio data will be routed through the PCM interface, but this is still t.b.d.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
nicole

4 Likes

Sorry. Voltage was the incorrect term.

Polarity of SIM_DETECT.

Fibocom, Sierra, Huawei, and Telit HIGH if SIM inserted.
SIMCom and Gemalto LOW if SIM inserted.

Will it matter if we are using Modem with the opposite polarity?

Will it be USB 2.0 or USB 3.0?

For other testing purposes, there is now possibility to order some M.2 modules over Techship AB, Sweden, but please note that they only accept registered companies and that customer registration is required to view some specified pages and for downloading software/firmware. With B28 support they offer: Fibocom L850-GL-10 LTE CAT-9 M.2, Fibocom L860-GL-10-00 LTE CAT-16 M.2, Sierra Wireless EM7430 LTE Cat 6, Sierra Wireless EM7565, CAT-12, M.2 CBRS Enabled, Sierra Wireless EM7565 LTE CAT-12, Telit LN941 LTE CAT-6, M.2, Telit LN940 A9 LTE CAT-9 M.2 and Telit LN940 A11 LTE CAT-11 M.2. This is just to show M.2 modem (future) availability yet not necessary Librem 5 compatibility (besides Linux support) and it looks like that standard size for M.2 connector is 42x30x2.3 mm or M.2 3042 (if this fits). And as mentioned within the above link: Voice Call Support: No, only Digital PCM signal input/output in socket is there. Time-Divide-Duplex (TDD) is supported as well. Here is link to Telit Connectivity Technical Support for Other regions. Anyway, without Gemalto (now part of the Thales Group) support for 3GPP Band 28 it will be (maybe) difficult to find some adequate modem card replacement.

2 Likes

Gemalto mPLAS9-W (here with mini PCI express connector) is hopefully something to look forward with its 3GPP Band 28A/B compatibility. Band 28A has 703-718MHz, and Band 28B has 718-748MHz UL, while Band 28A has 758-773MHz and Band 28B 773-803MHz DL. I hope Gemalto PLAS9-W with M.2 (NGFF) connector pinout will be a good solution for this topic (as well) and that there is still time (maybe) to pay (please) additional replacement (upgrade) cost for it (at least for some of us).

2 Likes

Have a look at this link. See what may be of interest. I am more than happy to contact suppliers.

3G/4G Module

Some inside information… Sub $150 AUD for under cat 12 is very possible.

1 Like

With Gemalto now being part of the Thales group I’d be very hesitant in putting it in my device. Any company that ingrained with defense contracting is very far away from the privacy and security the Librem 5 is aimed at.

The bands look much more promising. I note though that the module is 2mm wider and 0.6mm thicker. So someone at Purism would need to comment on whether that will still fit.

Unclear whether it offers VoLTE support.

Unknown whether it is compatible with the mPLS8 in other ways for a straightforward replacement.

OK but that (mPLS8) is what is going to be in the phone unless a suitable replacement is found.

I have a USB SIM card reader that’s not doing anything. Maybe I can connect a second SIM externally via the USB port. LOL.

Seriously though I will be more than happy with just one SIM card if the phone works at all.