3G/4G modems - Alternatives?

As I can’t help myself (looking for an alternative) I see that Gemalto M2M GmbH is frequently investing on GCF Certification of their new cellular modems that support LTE B28. Here is link to the certification of Cinterion ALAS5V-W (26-Jul-2019). Global Certification Forum (GCF) for Europe is a counterpart to the North American PTCRB. Still, I don’t know if an additional Asia-Pacific Telecommunity (APT) certification is accepted through the Bureau Veritas testing (or someone else) but for Australia (including Cinterion PLS8 module and its variants) necessarily goes (decisive prerequisite) through the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA), if I’m right.

Gemalto PLAS9-X and PLAS9-W are without VoLTE support. It is official.

Sierra Wireles EM7455 M.2

4G LTE Category Cat-6 Frequency Bands B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, B7, B8, B12, B13, B20, B25, B26, B29, B30, B41

3G HSPA+, UMTS B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, B8

certification for US

APPROVALS Carrier AT&T, Bell, Rogers, Sprint, T-Mobile, Telus, Verizon, Vodafone, US Cellular Regulatory CE, FCC, GCF, IC, NCC, PTCRB

TCP/IP Stack
Embedded stack to easily communicate over the internet

https://www.sierrawireless.com/products-and-solutions/embedded-solutions/products/em7455/

2 Likes

Sierra Wireless AirPrime® EM7430 and AirPrime® EM7455 have no voice call support, AFAIK. Otherwise great M.2 Linux modules.

1 Like

I had noted Telit option elsewhere on this site. I would caution that most cheaper M.2 cards are software controlled only with either Windows software for notebook use or for Android proprietary use, but I have seen none with general Linux kernel support. I cannot state that my search was exhaustive, but I would be quite cautious in buying a cheaper M.2 card to get Linux driver download or at least verification of its availability for installation before wasting money on the purchase of one.

3 Likes

Telstra on 23 September 2019 confirms here VoLTE support for Quectel EM06-E (through theirs proprietary firmware)! EM06-E is based on QMI protocol and hopefully might be accepted on L5 as M.2 modem slot replacement (alternative) hardware.

Also along the same line of questioning if you install say a Quectel EM-12G Category 12 Modem M.2 https://thewirelesshaven.com/shop/modems-hotspots/4g-modems/m2-modems/quectel-em12/ what are the general steps to configure PureOS L5 software to accept the modem:

1. update .conf file with …
  2. update .conf file 2 with …
  3. update .conf file 4 with …

Which configuration files need updating. Rules? FreeDesktop Setting? etc. etc.

Generally what Linux Drivers would need to be installed? For the above it says it supports the Linux Gobinet Driver (How to install on L5?)…

1. wget and clone git rep…
  2. unpack…
  3. build
  4. install …

Maybe with enough information we could create a Wiki Entry with general guidance which folders to look into and which files to update to make it work (more likely at least).

Does the firmware live of the Modem or does it need to be loaded on boot https://wirelessjoint.com/viewtopic.php?t=2410?

1. update firmware …
  2. place firmware …
  3. download firmware …