A white Librem 5 for keeping it cooler?

Re-read my post, especially the edit. I actually had in mind those cool (as in temperature) marble/granite lookalike stone benches you find in inner-city parks, they’re always cool and refreshing in the summer.

I remember an anecdote from my childhood. We left a black Johnny Cash tape cassette in the car, probably on the armature under the front window in the summer. Next time we wanted to play the tape we saw the cassette has been deformed. On corner was bend up 90° and it was impossible to inject it into the player again. I can’t proof it but my feeling says that wouldn’t have happened with a white cassette.

If I had a IR laser thermometer I would do a little experiment with white and black things. Such a thermometer would be a cool feature for a Swiss army knife phone, but that’s another topic.

I’m trying to figure out how this would affect the phone in a use case that doesn’t involve leaving it out in the sun for extended periods of time. I mean, in my pocket the phone color isn’t going to affect how hot it gets. When held up to my head, it’s mostly covered and not much is exposed to the sun and I’m more likely to get uncomfortable from the heat of the sun itself and seek shade than because of the added amount of heat from the sun on the phone. In my vehicle I don’t have my phone in direct sunlight.

I’m just not seeing this as having any meaningful practical impact even if I granted the most generous of benefit for colors impact on heat absorption from the sun.

I’m all for having color options for aesthetic prefence, I’m just not convinced on the utility.

1 Like

It depends how the smartphone is hold. If you hold it so that the back shows down to earth and the display shows to the sky than big parts of the cover are not in direct sunlight. The more I hold it up the bigger parts of the cover are exposed to direct sunlight.

I don’t know how much impact indirect alias reflected sunlight has. For human skin it is still relevant. I don’t want to artificially construct anything.

I came to think about this because at recently was in a situation where my android device gets significantly warm or hot while I was working in the sun for a while. Also I already earlier wondered what effect would it have on climate if all streets, roofs and parking spaces where white. That’s another topic too of course and probably one for a different forum.

Like you I would care about my skin’s health but that doesn’t if that some details of the phone could be optimized.

so CUPID19 got you searching for direct-sunlight ?

it might help you to research some of the hours of the day that the UV exposure is minimal then …

don’t leave your phone on or in your car in direct sunlight …

6 of one and half a dozen of the other. In the food industry, they cool boiled sweets by passing them through an absorption tunnel. It is black on the inside and refrigerated. So now, a phone that is black on the inside transfers its own heat to the outside. If you make it white, I can’t do that as well. I doubt that there is much in it because the heat may well transfer more by convection than radiation to get to the case and then through the case it will be transfered by conductance. In any case, I am more likely to leave my phone sheltered from the sun than in it.

I think they had a clear acrylic case in the 1936 movie “Things to Come”.