Anbox on Byzanthium

@buzzLightyear I will send you a link If i’m home.

It’s also quite unstable for me.

I noticed following message in the /var/lib/anbox/logs/console.log file and this message is continuously logged, the logging never stops.

IMediaDeathNotifier: Media player service not published, waiting...
    ServiceManager: Waiting for service media.player...

@dos, @david.hamner, Could that be the reason for an unstable Anbox on Librem 5?

1 Like

@dos, The img file at https://dosowisko.net/anbox/arm64/android.img appears to be old and does not seem to be stable. It crashes left 'n right when opening any application. Can you share the location of the latest and stable Anbox build that you have?

And Signal as well. It works on exactly as seen in the Anbox video by @david.hamner where Purism announced Anbox working on Librem 5

4 Likes

@dos, can you share the latest android.img file that you use on your Librem 5?

I’m using the one that’s on my server (sha256 750e74c016272418dfe72f07358dd1c6916ea19c61a3fc3c70d8d3119f4458c9). I haven’t built any newer images since.

2 Likes

Are there any optimizations that you carried out? With this image; https://dosowisko.net/anbox/arm64/android.img Anbox is not stable. It keeps crashing. Except WhatsApp, Signal nothing else works. Many of the apps I installed, don’t even open up. (I tried Microsoft Work, Outlook etc. apps). What am I missing?

Probably nothing. I’m using it only with a single app.

Found this Anbox snap for ARM64; https://launchpad.net/~patosublime/+snap/anbox-4-arm64/+build/450757
It does not appear to be very stable but nevertheless, it is a snap.

2 Likes

Has anyone here had any success running Wine For Arm together with QEMU to get any Windows programs working on their Librem 5? Also Microsoft has released some of its Office programs compiled for ARM. It seems like some of this should run on the L5 with some effort.

I would have fun hacking on it, just to get it working. Whether or not I would want any Microsoft programs to stay on my phone might be another topic.

@StevenR, can you share the URL for the office programs compiled for ARM?

It appears that Microsoft is releasing Windows 11 on some ARM devices now. Intel is not happy about this. To make an ARM Windows 11 device successful, they need to have Office programs that will run on these same ARM devices. From what I have read, there is a version of Wine that runs natively on ARM with no x86 or x64 compatability layer needed. So apparently, you can install Wine on ARM without needing to put it on top of another compatability layer. Then install Ms-Office, and assuming there aren’t too many incompatibility conflicts yet to resolve in Wine, maybe it will just work. I think the Cross Over Office code is probably opensource if the existing ARM version of Wine doesn’t work for lack of Ms-Office support. But getting your hands on an ARM compiler might not be easy. I’ve contacted Oracle a few times, trying to get access to an ARM compiler. Unless your employer is a large company who is officially backing your development work, Oracle won’t deal with you.

1 Like

@st.boom thanks for the detailed procedure.

One question (to anyone who managed to get it working). Do we need those binder and ashmem modules, finally? I’ve seen contradictory information about it and I wonder because you didn’t mention them in your instructions.

Anyway I got the daemon running, but trying to start from the icon on the home screen shows the logo for a while and then nothing. Trying to run anbox session-manager from the command line prints this:

[ 2022-06-27 20:06:29] [session_manager.cpp:149@operator()] Failed to start as either binder or ashmem kernel drivers are not loaded

EDIT: Anyone who got it working, do you see something when you run this command?

lsmod | egrep 'binder|ashmem'

I think this is related to new kernels not supporting ashmem anymore. For a bit more information: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/linux/-/issues/427

I’m keeping kernel 5.17 for now to have anbox working.

1 Like

Yes you’re right that would be it. I thought I could build DKMS modules but it seems that’s not going to work either without patching the kernel. I had a look at this page and it looks very scary. I’m not willing to risk making my preciousssss Librem 5 unbootable, so I’ll wait for Anbox devs to fix, I guess.

Did anyone give Waydroid a try?

I totally understand but if you know how to boot Jumpdrive then you can image your phone before you start making it unbootable and then if you do make it unbootable, you can restore the phone from the image.

The only downside (depending on what you are doing with your Librem 5) is that you would then lose any emails and/or texts and/or contact updates etc. that you had received / sent / performed between the time of making the image and the time of restoring the image.

Hi everyone :smiley:

I’m, also looking for a way to run Anbox on my Librem 5. I also tried to follow the steps recommended by @dos but after putting the Android image in the right place, nothing happens: no crash nor particular display of anything, just nothing.

The only thing left holding me from making the last step towards a privacy-friendly future is the availability of a standalone version of Signal for Linux (running on my Librem 5). :sweat_smile: after that, I swear I’ll really get involved in the Librem 5 development. :wink:

Anbox is broken with recent kernel versions (5.18), so that’s not unexpected. I guess I’ll have to prepare some instructions on how to install ashmem DKMS package to make it work again.

4 Likes

:+1: That would be great indeed since the standalone registration for Signal is not exactly a complete feature.

1 Like

Hi @dos , any news regarding the DKMS package ?

Failed to start as either binder or ashmem kernel drivers are not loaded

I’m still getting this after starting anbox-container-manager.

Good day to you :wave: