Announcing Librem AweSIM: A Privacy-focused Cellular Service for the Librem 5

Link added

And that explains it. Netherlands, and not Germany. Sorry guess I just assumed when you were talking about Telekom that this was the case.

Seems you guys are getting a heck of a deal, that Telekom doesnā€™t even come close to here in Germany.

The idea is wonderful. :grinning: For Italy I recommend contacting the telephone operator Iliad which has aggressive policies on the market having recently entered (about 2 years) but is developing rapidly. It is also present in France

2 Likes

Do you know if thatā€™s the case in Canada? I would be interested in this service here for unlimited data.

If it were not an operation only for the Librem but for anyone who wants a confidential sim I think it would have an even greater success.

1 Like

Librem AweSIM is starting out as a US only service.

Yep. Russia is the case :frowning:

Sad that you will be unable to enter our market with this feature.

Any chance my wife can get one put into her unlocked iPhone? (I hope sheā€™ll be swayed to get an L5 but that will be a tough sell sadly.) Iā€™m excited about this news!

Does AweSIM service also include Librem One bundled with the $99?

1 Like

It would be nice to have a cheaper version of this with limited data. Iā€™m trying to find an alternative carrier to Verizon right now and Iā€™m currently testing a T-Mobile prepaid plan for $15/month, unlimited calling and texting, with 2 GB of data. For the extra privacy of a Purism plan I could see paying double that, but I donā€™t need unlimited data and canā€™t justify paying for it with any carrier.

1 Like

On one hand, I like to see that Purism is building up monthly revenue streams to help assure their long term success. On the other hand, I canā€™t say they hit it right with AwSim.

I just left Verizon with two phones, leaving the third phone on Verizon. For one phone that I left on Verizon, for unlimited talk, text, and data, I am paying about $105 each month. But with three phones on Verizon, I paid only $180.00 per month. For Service to three phones with Purism would cost roughly $300. Verizon is the best carrier for universal coverage everywhere in the US. I hate that they charge top dollar. But they are the best for coverage. It just works everywhere every time for me. I kept the one phone (my sweethearts phone) on Verizon for when we travel. So at $300 per month for three phones, the AwSim service is significantly higher cost than even the most expensive, highest coverage carrier (Verizon at $180 per month for three phones) in the US. Is the added privacy of the anonymous registration service on a lower coverage backbone at this higher price than even the best carrierā€™s coverage worth the price?

So those other two phones I took off of Verizon went to Mint mobile. For each phone on Mint Mobile, I pay $180 per year. That is $15 per month and it uses T-Mobileā€™s backbone infrastructure. So when comparing Mint Mobileā€™s $15 per month to AwSimā€™s $99 per month, the question is, ā€˜is the $84 difference every month on each phone on the same network that I am already using now, worth the cost of the added privacy that anonymous registration provides?ā€™.

Despite my desire to see Purism do well and that I want my privacy, itā€™s not worth $84/month to me for anonymous registration alone. I hate to admit that the hardware kill switches on the Librem 5 will diminish any carrierā€™s ability to track me, thus lowering the value of the AwSim service to me. My long-term plan is to use WiFi calling everywhere I can, and only connect to a cellular network when I want to make a phone call and have no other choice but to turn the cellular kill switch to the ā€˜onā€™ position for the length of the call. Try tracking that Google. They will only know where I was when I made that call and then I will disappear again. Eventually when the free Cox cable Hotspots (available to me as a Cox internet subscriber) fill the city, I may not need any cellular provider at all except when traveling. I think that the trend is to make cellular service a very inexpensive commodity product like rock salt and toilet paper. I considered getting in to the MVNO business a few years ago and my reason to not do it was validated when I started seeing $15/month unlimited plans hit the market. If Purism could assure me that I could remain completely untraceable in any way through my phone for $99/month, that might be worth it. But I donā€™t know if that is even possible as long as you engage with the world (banking, Amazon, etcā€¦) using your real name.

2 Likes

Privacy, L5-specific tech support, and supporting FLOSS hardware/software/services is worth something. My legacy phone is an old Galaxy Nexus on Sprint ($65/mo.), which will stay online until my PinePhone or L5-Evergreen progress to the point of being a daily driver.

For the Pinephone, I grabbed the very first BYOP SIM that I found (Walmart Tracfone on T-Mobile backbone, unlimited calls/text with 1GB data and unlimited roll-over). Coverage and cost are far better than Sprint and I expect that Tracfone/Mint/Ting/whatever SIM on T-Mobile will work just fine. Still, I could be on board with the Awe-SIM if it includes Librem One.

Is that unlimited data or only unlimited calls and texts?

It can be that a provider who offers unlimited data for $15 per month also offers bad congestion, particularly at peak times - and if you are one of the data hungry people causing a major part of the congestion then your speed may be officially slowed for the month as well.

It would be great if the Librem 14 were available with the AweSIM service.

1 Like

I get that some people like having the cellular data with their laptop. I just could not personally justify it when my smartphone could hotspot and is more convenient in the first place. I mean are you going to have your laptop and not your phone? But you could very easily have your phone and not your laptop.

Can you add a feature like the russian sim that can be given a new mobile phone number for every call with a server handling phone number for each time?
edit: Something like that would interest me because what this is doesnā€™t exactly seem so great.
edit1: I could get fully unlimited vodafone sim for whole Europe and turkey which is important to me for 26 GBP a month. For where I am, this sim does not compete. Privacy considered, it may but does this really even do that? the phone itself is 800 USD plus a billion taxes and now a sim for 99 a month? You are pushing it. You are not anything of a threat to other careers because this just doesnā€™t make sense.

edit2: Oh wait! Didnā€™t ask. Where is this even available. Unlimited worldwide, different areas or is this just a US thing.

edit3: Nevermind. Read https://puri.sm/products/librem-awesim/ and it is just US with some idea to expand to other regions in another decade.

This feels like another ā€˜unlimitedā€™ sim. Says on page that ā€˜peak data users may be compressed to peak averageā€™ so this is unlimited with strings attached. Good job purism

No worries, Iā€™d have to buy a second Librem 5 for such a plan to take effect. (My thought was to see how this thing works before I get another one for my non-technical wife.)

1 Like

When it says the phone number is registered to the company and not the customer, does that mean if my awesim number gets sold as a batch of ā€œanonymized aggregateā€ data then itā€™d be resolved to Purism and not me personally upon lookup?

(Itā€™s early and my brain hasnā€™t warmed up yet, forgive me if this sounds incoherent)

Iā€™m on Cricket for $35/month, 10GB, month to month, no contract, not sure exactly why I would want to triple my bill?