Announcing Librem SIMple: An Affordable Cellular Plan that Protects Your Privacy

You can switch in either direction (SIMple->AweSIM, AweSIM->SIMple) and keep the SIM you have, but you will have to pay the corresponding one-time activation fee for the new service ($9.99 or $14.99 respectively)

No, there isnā€™t an option to add additional data with this plan at this time.

I know that the Librem 5 is not 5G capable (yet, and maybe never). But is the AwSIM and SIMple 5G capable?

Yes itā€™s 5G capable.

ā€œI know that the Librem 5 BM818 is not 5G capableā€

A different modem could bring this functionality someday, right?

2 Likes

Subject to discussions over sufficient power and adequate antenna and sufficient heat dissipation.

1 Like

So is AwSim 5G capable too?

Sorry I should have been clearer, I meant that AweSIM is 5G capable.

1 Like

Amarok - I think that you are probably correct about the modem. Another consideration may be the antenna and power consumption. I think it might theoretically possible to put the right 5G modem in to a Librem 5. That Librem 5 might suffer extremely poor 5G coverage and high power consumption because of antenna issues (5G antenna not designed-in from the start), and the modem turning up the power all the way to communicate, using the wrong antenna. An antenna mis-match causes standing waves, which dissipate as heat instead of RF.

1 Like

This is pretty cool! BUT, i personally would like to see some other plans if possible. 1gb really is not enough if you use data at all while out and about.

And the unlimited plan is way to expensive.

Iā€™d like to see a 5 or 6gb plan or 10gb

Also, can I ask, why the price is so high?? Because you donā€™t have to worry about data collection, shouldnā€™t the price actually be lower (less work)?

My current plan with Tmobile is 5.5 - 6gb data per month, plus unlimited talk/text, and that is $15/per month. I realize they data mine people, but the price difference is wayyy higher for AweSim.

Also, what cell towers would a person in the USA be using, and how good is the coverage? Iā€™m currently using Tmobile on a samsung note 3.

Thanks!

The big carriers are collecting that data to sell for money to advertisers and subsidize their rates. Our price is reflecting the fact that we are offering a unique, privacy-focused service. Itā€™s similar to how the Vizio CTO was quoted some time ago in an interview saying that they donā€™t plan on ever selling a new ā€œdumb TVā€ but if they did it would cost more than a ā€œsmart TVā€ because of how much money they make selling ads, etc.

Itā€™s on the ATT network.

Ok thanks! are there any plans to eventully offer like 5 or 10gb per month?

Any chance this gets into Canada?

Unclear at this point. We only just announced this service! :slight_smile:

1 Like

We do offer roaming in Canada at no additional cost.

ok, iā€™ll keep an eye out.

right now, my librem phone isnā€™t really usable to me as a daily driver. just having the phone sitting in standby keeps the phone hot. its like it never really goes into standby. anyway, iā€™ll look into that in a different thread. thank yuo!

It doesnā€™t (yet) go into standby. When you blank the screen itā€™s still mostly running full speed. There are a few power saving things it does like clocking the RAM down, and of course a blank screen draws less power, but until we complete work on suspend (which we have made some major progress on recently!) it will still draw more power when idle.

So Iā€™d have to get a US number tho, would I be able to make local calls in Canada without charges? Texting and data?

1 Like

I have a couple of questions about Purismā€™s MVNO business:
1.) After I get a confirmation from Purism that my Librem 5 is getting ready to ship to me, can I contact Purism, sign up and pay for AwSim, and receive the phone ready and tested to make phone calls, right out of the box?
2.) In the scenario of question 1, could I port my current phone number after I receive my Lubrem 5?
3.) I have used MVNO cellular providers in the past. There needs to be a reliable way for subscribers to reach the MVNO on any given day, to resolve technical issues that can come up from time to time. Without that service, youā€™re completely screwed and might have to go for several days without any cell phone until the MVNO resolves your problem. Purism is not known for good or prompt customer service. Will Purism as a cellular provider be prompt and available by phone, at least five or six days per week to provide cell phone subscriber-related customer service?

This looks great, Iā€™d definitely sign up even at $39 a month for the privacy bonus. Even though itā€™s way more expensive and for less than I pay / get now.

Any plans to partner up with cellular providers in the rest of the World?

Specifically UK or Europe?