Apps you want on the L5

That seems drastically paranoid even for a privacy enthusiast, and of questionable benefit unless you are auditing the code closely yourself and then compiling afterwards. Package checksums and signatures are sufficient for me personally, but I guess there are other views here.

1 Like

Not really, there’s a difference between building binary package and just compiling the code. Package is supposed to be fully integrated into the system, with deps autoresolve etc. Source compilation usually allows using upstream directly (bleeding edge) rather that pre-packaged release tag.
Technically speaking if you have signatures and deb src - you can review the code and trust it is accurate. If you side-load package you don’t have a luxury to verify signatures automatically unless you add a repo, so you need to go with manual verification (which sometimes is more complicated than just recompile :slight_smile: )

2 Likes

Perhaps we will have (in the future) a L5-distribution with a special repository controlled by Purism. Of course it would be nice to use the existing system of Debian in some way. It is working very well. I suppose we need both binary packages which are tested and guaranteed to run on L5 for novices and sources for the more experienced that like to make some changes.When I think about it I almost exclusively use Debian binary packages without very much problems for many years. I have some hardware that needs special attention though. Mismatch with libraries is the most usual problem but it is fairly quickly solved.

If software updates for L5 are as easily handled as for Debian I see no problems.

2 Likes

Any distro that follows debians lead makes all the sources available. apt-get source $PKGNAME is how to grab it. You do have to have the source URIs in your package list (it’ll prompt you if you don’t). apt-get build-dep will grab any additional dependencies needed. Once you have the source checked out, building the package can be done via dpkg -b.

4 Likes

It’s the present.
https://repo.puri.sm/pureos/dists/
https://repo.puri.sm/pureos/pool/main/
Later you should also be able to browse the phone packages here, but currently it seems to hide them:
https://software.pureos.net/

4 Likes

I assume that CardDav and CalDav are already in place, as well as an email app. Then the following:

BankID
Swish
Signal
Google authenticator
Microsoft authenticator

I have been waiting for those on Sailfish for too long already, and I cannot consider buying Librem until those are in place. I do not want to carry 2 phones in my pocket.

Nice to have:
Revolut
eBook reader
Slack (for work)

1 Like

In anticipation of an eventual future printer and being able to control current ones I’d be interested to see Papercut working as a Pure OS native app

But it’s not OSS software, so how can they make sure propriatory software working properly on their OS? It should rather be opposite.

Could be my ignorance, it looks to me like they’re developing based on OSS, see Papercut Github repository and they’re actively supporting and contributing to open source

I did review this repo before and didn’t find any reference of actual software. There’re some scripts, subprojects, whatnot but not the software.

• gufw, so I can show people that I have a firewall on my phone.
  • freeOTP or alike
  • a decent scientific calculator (the kind that looks like your old Ti)
  • a music-player-daemon client

Then encouraging them to do so would be the best option. A Papercut app could lower the threshold for both employers and employees (business and private use) to go the Pure OS route and Purism products

I see their Mobility print supports everything BUT Linux

bc is enough for me, looks like even older :slight_smile:

I have a question: Does Librem5 have an RSS feed reader? Can I use one on the phone or compile one on the phone?

I did not find recent info using the search function on Purism site.

Soon I will have the money to buy one of these great pocket computers called Librem5.
But:
Without RSS feed reader I will never buy Librem5.

Can someone please give me a clear answer if there is a RSS feed reader available right now?

Are you looking for standalone reader or a client for TTRSS?
Either way i think the best candidate will be FeedReader - although i have no idea whether it is adopted for mobile platforms (small screens) or not. If not will require certain tinkering to adopt.

You may be better off doing cross-development i.e. compile on a Linux desktop/laptop computer but targeted for the ARM CPU and phone environment - and then download the resulting program to the phone. That way you can also do much of your cycles of build-and-test on the desktop/laptop.

Feeds:
https://gabmus.gitlab.io/gnome-feeds/
https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.gabmus.gfeeds

taken from the gitlab site:

Feeds is built with Purism’s libhandy library to offer a responsive user interface. Got a new shiny > GNU+Linux phone? Here’s a feed reader for you!

3 Likes

Will desperately need a call blocker that does not ring the phone if the inbound number is not in my contacts - I get way too many junk calls.

Thanks a lot for your reply.
Yes, this is a good answer to my question.

Coming from a phone with SailfishOS things are not that easy (although quite amazing, too).
I used to try the Ubuntu-phone and it was so very disappointing in details (although the idea was great and the concept was good). Means: GNU and Linux does not imply all sw is working on the mobile device.

Appreciate your answer!