Audiophile question

Curious to know what make the final specs different from the selected Wolfson DAC.

Personally I have never expected a phone to be a good replacement for my portable rig. I do appreciate Purism decision to include a decent DAC though. In an ideal world there would be a phone dedicated to audiophiles.

LG does a good job with V series. Especially w V10 and V20. But, yeah definitely not powerful enough.

1 Like

What will you be using for audio playback on PureOS? Foobar2000 (Snapcraft)?

any (well FOSS ofc) audio player that has a decent GUI and supports FLAC or other uncompressed formats. i like listening to sound in lossless quality if possible. the L5 supports up to 2 TB microSD cards so that’s not a problem.

3 Likes

probaby just that lollypop . I like that it has an oboard 10 band equalizer . I just hope it has a hierarchical folder view for my 100gig music collection .

3 Likes

Lollypop looks nice, a GUI oriented player capable of playing .FLAC.

Any playback through kernel streaming, supporting .FLAC and .WAV? Most of my album files are 24/96 and up. Would be nice to have Foobar2000 and its mobile web server version on PureOS or any other recommended players capable of doing that

Lollypop too :grinning:
Works really great on my Fedora 30 connected to my NAS

1 Like

I like clementine but I dont think itd work great on a 5.7" screen

1 Like

Thank you for that, I had never seen clementine before.

I run clementine on all my laptops on my xfce ubuntu studio releases . Its great . My favorite linux music player .

It too has equalizer , visualizations . It even has rain storm ambient sound or "make it so " space travel sound as an extra you can play perpetually . Sometimes i play the rain/thunder while I browse the internet.

Although I must say where I live I havent needed it lately . We’re getting damn 3 inches of rain per day

We must be neighbours then :grin:

Will dig deeper in Clementine. Not sure how it will handle my HD library. Have you ever considered using Snapcraft Foobar2000 ?

Clementine plays my .flac s . Nope never tried it . Ill go install it and check it out .

Why did wine initiate ? Is this not a Linux app ?? :scream_cat:

Wine opens your nix distro to possible infection due to the compatibility layer . No good .

guys please open another thread for app testing and whatnot - in here it get’s spammy too quickly - you can link to here if you want

As this thread has some audiophile weight to it and recently bumped I assumed it could serve as a gathering place and sharing audiophile related issues and tips. Apparently not.

2 Likes

We got in trouble. :pensive:

Yeah, we did… And it was just about discovering L5 and audiophile related stuff… Not even endorsing iFi products.

Before derailing then, someone better lock this thread. Before you know it we might get into testicle frying 5G or Nazi theory debatings which will undoubtedly leads to this thread becoming a round table thread

Ehrr…frankly I don’t know. Using Foobar2000
on Windows OS and Mobile atm

Yea , I dont use anything that isnt FOSS native linux apps . Linux system can actually be infected by windows virus if wine is installed due to the comparability layer . So I do not use wine ever for anything.

not at all. it’s just that this thread was aimed more at hardware and audio quality theory. messing with the SOFTWARE equalizer is not something a true audiophile would normally do if the goal is to have as much of a high-fidelity experience as the original composer intended.

:). that … was a mistake on my part and you are welcome to skip it entirely. it was inapropriate to post that HERE but it’s still a good example in regards to what can be achieved with proper hardware. if you know some external open-hardware DAC/AMPs (combo or separate) i’d be interested if you could link to those here.

stop bustin’ my 5g fried balls ! :smiley:

2 Likes