Autofocus in millipixels

No, there’s good reason the delay has been further increased. There’s extra processing on each frame now.

1 Like

Just wanted to bump this. I installed everything from source and it works fantastic. The pictures are very much improved and I can do video!! I kind of like the way the pictures turn out - kind of an interesting soft-light thing going on.

Thanks so much for your work. I really have no complaints. Might break with an update?

3 Likes

Purism hks

Can anyone please share a video taken from the L5 camera? I remember seeing one somewhere (I think a GitLab issue had one linked) but I cannot find.

I’m not expecting extremely high quality but I’m curious what it looks and sounds like.

(Not necessarily asking you in particular, flanders51 :))

1 Like

Well, this forum won’t allow me to post a mp4 video? I could post my lame video from a recent sporting event. Not the greatest video. It is not an Iphone. I had a Nexus 5X with similar camera specs and the Librem 5 has very similar video output. Not great. Not at all bad.

Edit: I uploaded it to Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/POys9giVsK0

Given the bad lighting and everything going on in the video, I think it is pretty great. The audio is excellent too!

Enjoy!

8 Likes

I posted an L5 video here a bit ago. Audio is over modulated wind noise. May want to turn down your speakers.

3 Likes

Yep. I was inspired to install from source by Adamd. It wasn’t that hard. Just make sure you install it on your home folder and compile from there.

1 Like

I recently received this indicating installing from source isn’t nessessary.

I looked quickly and didn’t find the .deb.
@dcz could you supply a link here?

It’s funny, but I couldn’t find the .debs. I really don’t know what I am doing, though. I just tinker until something works or doesn’t work.

2 Likes

@adamd @flanders51

See artifacts there and click on the debian package next to arm64. This should be the most recent version I guess.

5 Likes

That looks a lot easier.

BTW, I hit the big red button: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/millipixels/-/merge_requests/87

If this doesn’t cause misery, then you’ll start getting it on your phones in 2 weeks-ish.

7 Likes

Doesn’t exactly inspire confidence when you put YOLO in the comments.

1 Like

You read me correctly. I did track down some bugs to elsewhere, but with the number of changes I’m really far from confident that it’s bug free. Still, it’s a dev preview application, and the features are highly requested.

11 Likes

Just a good-natured tease, no worries. Its been more than once I’ve committed something on a click and a prayer.

4 Likes

I guess that autofocus will be nice, but I’m liking the full manual control. I finally tried it out, though I’m not much of a photographer.

Taken looking north off my deck at sunset.

7 Likes

Curious if you know when it will come through?

I don’t know why. I really love this photo.

1 Like

Taken in a big rush because the light was failing fast. I probably only spent about 20 seconds adjusting focus, etc. If I hadn’t gotten wrapped up trying to review the photo, I might have had the presence of mind to take another while bracing the phone on the deck railing.

1 Like

Depends on review speed. https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/debs/millipixels/-/merge_requests/21 I’d say 1.5 weeks until it hits the repos if all goes well.

6 Likes