BIOS and Boot Security

All this talk about boot security has me wondering. Would it be possible in the future to install CoreBoot onto my Dell computer?

Does anyone have any links that I should read about securing proprietary *ware? I basically, dont do anything at all to protect myself on Windows because its such a lost cause between the Intel chips, data-mining for advertising and BIOS Legacy and UEFI holes.

But now Im thinking about starting at the root of the problem.

1 Like

Have you installed GNU/Linux on your Dell laptop yet? I wouldn’t worry about the BIOS if you are running Windows.

1 Like

Lol! Its a dual boot system. I game on windows and surf linux.

1 Like

I don’t see any Dell boards on the Coreboot compatibility list, so it doesn’t seem likely. The relevant Coreboot FAQ will probably answer follow-up questions you may have.

1 Like

Thanks! Ill check that out.

Also, I’m not sure that Windows will like it if you replace the BIOS. It might freak and stop working.

@blendergeek From what I can tell:

Coreboot is ok with windows.
Libreboot on purpose does not boot windows (for people’s own sake).

@SeVaS I see where your question is coming from. I had a similar question. But after I found out more about Qubes OS I realized that it’s much better than a SATA switch I was thinking about. Qubes OS is even better than dual booting, since you can create a disposable VM with Windows on it and “burn it” :japanese_ogre: after you are done playing a game or using an app or smth. And then have another permanent VM with PureOS on it for all the other things. No bottom lines for now, just sharing my journey to freedom and the point to which I got. :blush:

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying, @anon10067017.

1 Like