Bluetooth not working out of the box

Can confirm that adding deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian stretch non-free to the APT sources and installing firmware-atheros enabled Bluetooth on a Librem 15 (PureOS 2.1) does get it working for the moment (after toggling BT on-and-off and minute or two wait), if non-free is an option for you.

1 Like
and installing firmware-atheros enabled Bluetooth on a Librem 15 (PureOS 2.1) does get it working

For those who wonder, the command to do it is this :

sudo apt-get install firmware-atheros

=====
Bluetooth firmware now loads, but I got the following error message now:

Nov 14 06:25:22 HSZ systemd[1]: Starting Load/Save RF Kill Switch Status...
Nov 14 06:25:22 HSZ systemd[1]: Started Load/Save RF Kill Switch Status.
Nov 14 06:25:22 HSZ systemd[1]: Starting Bluetooth service...
Nov 14 06:25:22 HSZ systemd[9966]: bluetooth.service: Failed at step NAMESPACE spawning /usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd: Too many levels of symbolic links
Nov 14 06:25:22 HSZ systemd[1]: bluetooth.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=226/NAMESPACE
Nov 14 06:25:22 HSZ systemd[1]: Failed to start Bluetooth service.
Nov 14 06:25:22 HSZ systemd[1]: bluetooth.service: Unit entered failed state.
Nov 14 06:25:22 HSZ systemd[1]: bluetooth.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Nov 14 06:25:22 HSZ systemd[1]: Reached target Bluetooth.

Using PureOS 3 alpha.

cheers, HS

2 Likes

Is it an acted fact that PureOS does not support bluetooth on Librem-13?

I received mine yesterday, it was delivered with a PureOS installation using kernel labeled 4.2.3purism-rc2, and am unable to make bluetooth work at all since.

Hi Bruno,

Not a direct answer, just another datapoint: I did just get bluetooth
working on my Librem 13. Thing is, I’m running Fedora at the moment.

All this means is your problem (probably) isn’t hardware.

You were, right bluetooth support is active with Debian stretch and Ubuntu 15.10.

Just to add to the voices. I’m also having trouble with bluetooth. It didn’t work on PureOS, and doesn’t work on Elementary Freya (built on Ubuntu 14.04). I really like Elementary Freya so I’m tempted to just put up with this.

1 Like

Yes, it is. PureOS is a free software GNU/Linux distribution and since there’s no libre driver for the used adapter Purism never advertised Bluetooth support. What they did is: they tried to find a developer to free our adapter for the last months – but it seems to me they didn’t find anyone

2 Likes

Bringing this back from the dead, but I couldn’t find anything else relevant to this since I have the same issue - “Plug in a dongle to use Bluetooth” in settings. I’m on a Librem 15 v4 with PureOS9. Are there free drivers available now or will have to use the non-free Atheros ones, @mladen? I can confirm that the non-free ones work and an external Bluetooth speaker works. Thanks!

Hi all,

just took delivery of my L15v4 & am in the process of setting it up - 20+ years since last using Unix command line daily, so it is a literal blast from the past coming back to Unix/Linux! Having to (sort-of) de-Windows my mind to get back to CL thinking again … :crazy_face:

I have come across this same Bluetooth issue & will be trying to solve it using the non-free drivers listed above. Thanks for providing the info.

I am a bit surprised that this thread is four (4) years old - still with no free BT driver for the chosen Librem hardware.

Anyway, thanks again for this tech support! :+1:
Cheers,
JV

And, worked a treat! :clinking_glasses: :champagne:

Now listening to music from L15 via BT headphones while typing this reply… :musical_note: :notes:

Many thanks for this thread! :+1: :smile:

Some weeks ago my Bluetooth support on Debian Bullseye stop working on my librem13v1 (with non-free firmware-atheros installed).

Still trying to fix it :frowning:

1 Like

Bruno: Any luck yet?

For those who come here by google in 2021, the line to add to /etc/apt/sources.list is:

deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian 55 testing non-free

At least it worked for me. You need to install firmware-atheros then reboot to see the effect.

Is it time to update this thread for those of us who have upgraded to Byzantium?

(I did a full backup of Home and just did a fresh install of PureOS 10, wiping the disc etc. Then I restored the files from the backup made just before installing. It wasn’t entirely smooth, but it worked [eventually] and I’ve been rebuilding the software for a day or so, just keeping what I really need. It’s amazing how much crud accumulates over a year and a half…).

Anyway, this means needing to re-enable Bluetooth again (as per the above). BUT this time I want to attempt to keep the repo list to an absolute minimum, preferring to avoid adding in anything outside of PureOS (with the possible exception of bullseye-backports). This is of course impossible when it comes to BT.

So, is there a way to just add the single package firmware-atheros from Debian bullseye non-free without adding in any more?

(The idea, of course, is to avoid anything not audited, to the degree possible. A single package for BT is the only exception, until the BT driver arrives in PureOS/Debian main).

You can download and install it manually.

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/all/firmware-atheros/download

You’ll have to update it manually, though.

1 Like

Thanks.

For those who will join this thread in the future (and they will until BT is available out of the box):

In the end I went with adding

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye non-free

to the (PureOS byzantium and Debian bullseye-backports main) repo list, and using the Synaptic package manager to install just that single package from outside the Byzantium/Bullseye main structure. This has pulled in the most recent (stable) version from bullseye (20210315-3) as opposed the one mentioned way back at the start of this thread many years ago (stretch, now at 20190114-2).

( Else, if not using Synaptic, do:

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install firmware-atheros

and reboot. )

It was up and working in minutes (i.e., after reboot).

The main view in Synaptic makes it much easier to keep track of all the packages installed, and to see which package lives where. With bullseye-backports also in the repo list, it’s also possible to see which newer post-stable versions (if any) are available and to selectively choose whether to go on to a later post-stable version or not (backports don’t replace anything existing unless you specifically install from there, and then update as usual).

Hopefully, this will help future visitors also looking to get BT going on their LibremX devices out of the box, until that point (eventually?) becomes moot :crossed_fingers:

Cheers!

6 Likes

Just got my L14 replacement and could not remember what I did to setup the bluetooth… Saved so much time!!

1 Like

Excellent! That was the idea :+1:

To be completely clear: You should be aware that this installs non-FOSS firmware.

That’s right.

You can double-check how much non-free software (from repos) is lurking on your computer by installing your very own Virtual Richard M. Stallman (vrms) and running it/him:

$ sudo apt-get install vrms
$ vrms
Non-free packages installed on [your computer]

firmware-atheros                    Binary firmware for Qualcomm Atheros wireless cards

1 non-free packages, x.y% of nnnn installed packages.

This won’t show you non-free software installed from downloaded .deb files, though.