Building coreboot from source (official script)

still no dice. email me mrchromebox at gmail?

Assuming you do have a 15" model (has numberpad to right of keyboard), then it definitely has the wrong firmware on it, and we can work around this by simply editing the script to add the required flashrom parameter to ignore the device name mismatch

Well, I have some bad newsā€¦ after playing for hours with different kernel parameters, finally removing every single parameter (beside ā€œiomem=relaxed quiet splashā€), it is still quite unstable. Once the system has booted properly, it works great. But I often have to try 5-10 times booting until everything works (either it is ā€œbooting from hard driveā€ and it stays stuck there, or X crashes or there is no wifi, or no touchpad). I have also never been able to enter the ā€œcorebootinfoā€ payload. And half of the time, shutting down does not power off the laptop but it remains stuck in a state that drains the battery quite fast (Iā€™ve left it once for maybe 15-30 minutes to see if it would eventually power off, it did not but after starting again, the battery had discharged quite a lot). As I understand (after reading about Coreboot and SeaBios), this could be a problem of SeaBios not presenting all the devices, right?

this is quite surprising, and not something I can replicate on my 15v2 here.

Does your system have both m.2 and SATA SSDs?
When you bring up the SeaBIOS boot menu, are all installed drives listed?
Thereā€™s no reason for X to crash. What distro/kernel are you running?
coreinfo not working again seems odd, works fine here

I currently have an m.2 ssd and a SATA hard drive. I have also one difference compared to ā€œstockā€ Librem: my ram modules were draining too much power in suspend mode, emptying the battery very fast. So around a year and a half after, Iā€™ve requested a replacement to the ram modules maker. Even if the new ones have the same specs than the original ones, could it be that they have small differences? I have the feeling that if I let the memory test running for a few minutes before starting the os, then it starts without problemsā€¦ Iā€™ll do more tests, I will try to run memtest and then coreinfoā€¦

Otherwise, I am using Debian Buster with stock 4.19.0-4 kernel (and everything was running fine with the AMI bios).

[Edit] Iā€™ve tried running memtest (up to the patterns testing) and then Coreinfoā€¦ and it works! It seems more and more that it has to do with the RAM handling.

youā€™ve run a full memtest and everything passes?

I have seen some instances where on the 13v1 that USB devices can fail to be detected on a cold boot, but are after hitting CTRL+ALT+DEL (so a warm reboot), but Iā€™ve not seen that issue with internal drives. I can try loading both in my 15v2 and see if I can reproduce.

coreinfo running only after running another payload and rebooting is just bizarre, Iā€™m at a loss there.

To be safe, can you update coreboot again using the new update utility (https://source.puri.sm/coreboot/utility) - thereā€™s chance that the build youā€™re running is missing or has a bad microcode file, and want to rule that out.

Iā€™m totally lostā€¦ Iā€™ve reflashed coreboot with your new update utility, no problems, except that the boot order that Iā€™ve provided to the script is not use when booting (Iā€™ve reflashed several times, requesting ssd, then hdd and I always get hdd if I donā€™t manually select the ssd).

But I still have the same difficulties in booting. Iā€™ve been able to enter Coreinfo several times, but now memtest fails (ie the computer locks up) at test #2, 21%. Iā€™ve tried removing one of the ram module, it the hangs in the same test at 42% (no matter which memory module I remove, same results). So it seems to hang at one specific memory location. If I run the parallel version of the test, it hangs at test 31, 5% (with two memory modules, ie 16G). I have also removed my sata hard drive, it makes no changes.

If I donā€™t play around with memtest, I can boot after several triesā€¦ I still also experience some failed shutdowns (ie the OS is gone but the cpu still runs full blast until long-pressing the power button). I have really no clue what is going onā€¦ Could the boot logs (from Coreboot) provide some hints?

it will definitely help me fix the bootorder issue, for the rest maybe? Pull it per my instructions earlier in this thread (Building coreboot from source (official script))

will be closing this topic, as this coreboot build script is now deprecated. Please move all discussion to the topic for the new Librem coreboot Utility/Updater Script.

thanks!

1 Like