Camera development progress

openEXR is an image container format that has all sorts of goodies and can be compressed.

by folding in half or using a mirror :laughing:

Latest results:https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/linux-next/uploads/555ae68ccec46fe5a9e9146d54b8d260/processed.png

8 Likes

The picture is 1200x1600 resolution from the front camera. Kudos to Dorota, Martin and Sebastian for their work on this. Now if they can get the auto-focus to work, I will be more than happy.

1 Like

Autofocus is only relevant for the big camera, and will require cooperation with application developers. We can show off some of it in prototypes, but in the end, weā€™ll have to work with camera apps to integrate autofocus properly.

7 Likes

I just take the data already produced by others and format it for displaying, I have no slightest clue about whatā€™s going on kernel-side - so let me redirect those kudos sent to me towards Dorota and Martin :smiley:

6 Likes

Interested application developers can start testing the kernel: https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/linux-next/-/merge_requests/348

4 Likes

Where will (auto)focus be handled? Would utilities such as libcamera make sense?

The rear camera at full resolution with (rough) manual focus:

More details:

18 Likes

Wow, thatā€™s amazing. Greetings to your cat. :blush:

And now anyone should tell ā€œcamera is not working mimimiā€ in any review. I donā€™t know if you finished this driver completely (i guess no?), what are the next plans with application etc?

1 Like

Wow looks really good, a big thanks to @dos and the cat.

2 Likes

Focus will be handled in v4l2 in the kernel (needs work), autofocus is up to applications.

I didnā€™t investigate yet, thereā€™s still a bunch of work kernel-side.

Let the community take care of that while finishing the kernel side :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Kudos to @dcz - looking good

Iā€™m still of the mind that we need an L5 selfie (an I mean of the phone). Either L5 on L5 or via mirror. Optionally via 7th dimension or using gravimetric lensing to turn the view in on itself :wink:

1 Like

@dos posted this one earlier:

9 Likes

Big thanks to @dcz @cat @purism :smiley:

3 Likes

This is amazing. Thanks for the great work to get the cameras working! The last excuse I had is gone nowā€“I placed my Librem 5 order last night :heart:

13 Likes

How does this work?

It was supposed to mean ā€œusing one L5 to take pic of another L5ā€ ā€¦but if Iā€™d get to choose, Iā€™d go for the gravimetric lensing, bends the light 180+ degrees - I just wouldnā€™t want to be anywhere near the same region of galaxy that would have an object capable of that much warp :milky_way: :new_moon_with_face:

2 Likes

Thanks for supporting Purism
I have a L5 Evergreen it working amazing on every update, Purism developer they doing the best work to Librem 5.

5 Likes

Or make it scriptableā€¦ When you take a picture, look for the QR code, if a QR code is found, present a notification asking if youā€™d want to open that URL.

1 Like