Can I run libre distros on Librem Mini (v1, v2)?

Can I run free distros on Librem Mini (v1, v2)?

Hello everyone. Please tell me if I can install and run on Librem Mini (v1, v2) libre distros such as: Trisquel, Parabola, Hyperbola, Guix List of Free GNU/Linux Distributions - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation

Excuse me, but Gnome is a terribly bloated project 18 million lines of code.

=> https://openhub.net/

Gnome 18 million lines of code
KDE 19 Million lines of code
Cinnamon 793,220 lines of code
LXQt 531,000 lines of code
icewm 78,868 lines of code
fluxbox 53,266 lines of code
i3wm 56,868 lines of code
jwm 22,973 lines of code
dwm 2,508 lines of code !!

As I understand there will be problems with WI-FI, but they can be solved by buying a WI-FI adapter with an Atheros AR9271 chip for $2-3 Minitarjeta de red AR9271 para PC, adaptador WiFi USB, Compatible con x_ 7 _ 8 _ 10 24BB - AliExpress 7 npi=4%40dis%21USD%212.60%21 2.03%21%21%212.60%212.03%21%4021015b2417228114574904935e5a59%2112000026528491130%21sea%21MD%210%21ABX&curPageLogUid=b5BtREBv1cuz&utparam-url=scene%3Asearch%7Cquery_from%3A

I don’t use Bluetooth, it’s a security HOLE, why read here en:philosophy:bluetooth [HyperWiki]

Graphics should work fine with Intel UHD Graphics 620

I also wanted to clarify about loading, am I right in understanding that after purchasing I will have PureBoot = Coreboot with the Heads payload? Purism Librem Mini (v1, v2) — coreboot 24.05-288-g72e7585e6d documentation

I’d appreciate your advice…

1 Like

Yes you can.

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback. Have you tried it? Did everything work correctly for you? Maybe you have some comments?

1 Like

Other Purism devices have had success running Trisquel:

The Librem Mini has an Ethernet port and you can order it without a Wi-Fi/Bluetooth module. However, if you want to utilize Wi-Fi on the Librem Mini, you will need to replace the Intel WI-Fi 6 AX200(NGW) module with the Qualcomm Atheros AR9462 (QCNFA222) due to Trisquel using the Linux-libre kernel:

Yes, specifically PureBoot Basic.

1 Like

Thanks for your answers. Yes, you are right, free distros use Linux-libre, but I wanted to use not only Trisquel, which is based on Ubuntu, there is Parabola, which is based on Arch, or Hyperbola, a standalone distro, etc.

I don’t see Librem Mini in this table Computers - ParabolaWiki, I need to check…

As for WI-FI, I understand you, but I do NOT use Bluetooth, so the WI-FI adapter I gave a link to would be a good solution. And for those who use Bluetooth and want to replace the network card, here is the solution you mentioned QCNFA222 AR9462, Bluetooth 4.0 Wi-Fi 4 (802.11n), 2.4/5GHz, Atheros QCNFA222 AR9462, Bluetooth 4.0, M.2/NGFF – Vikings Shop

Regarding loading Pureboot, do you have a screenshot of what it looks like?

1 Like

Not PureOS:

This technicality is the reason PureBoot is able to provide a firmware jail for the Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200(NGW).

Assuming you specifically meant PureBoot Basic, I can provide plenty of resources:

1 Like

Thanks for the photos and videos.
Okay, if I want to use for example Parabola or Trisquel with Libre-linux since Gnome is too bloated a project, to install for example i3wm I need to remove Pureboot?

1 Like

No, you can use either Coreboot + SeaBIOS or PureBoot as boot firmware. Neither will affect your operating system or desktop environment of choice in this case.

1 Like

Yes, I mean that, when I use Libreboot in my case I have SeaBIOS.

So after turning on Librem Mini I will have PureBoot menu then I insert USB with Trisquel or Parabola, Pureboot will start loading operating system, right?

1 Like

Yes, on the PureBoot Basic Boot Menu, select Options -->, USB Boot, the USB device, then a valid boot partition from it.

1 Like

Excellent, thank you very much for your answers.

1 Like

I wanted to clarify one question for myself, do I understand correctly that Pureboot is installed in the flash memory of the Librem Mini, that is, I can independently flash Coreboot or reflash Pureboot if I need to or something went wrong?

1 Like

Others have reported success, and it should work, although I have not tested all of these distributions personally.

@FranklyFlawless summarized the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth caveats very well. You can order the Mini v2 without a Wi-Fi card if you intend to install your own AR9462 (and will not use Bluetooth as you mentioned).

PureBoot and Heads do not work with Guix currently (Guixsd vs Heads - How to make it work together? · Issue #753 · linuxboot/heads · GitHub). You can switch to coreboot/SeaBIOS if you want to use Guix.

Yes, all devices ship with PureBoot, which is our distribution of coreboot with Heads. You can switch between Basic and normal mode at any time (non-Basic mode requires a Librem Key). You can also switch between PureBoot and coreboot/SeaBIOS using our utility script.

Yes. PureBoot (or coreboot/SeaBIOS) are flashed in the SPI flash chip shown in that photo. If you have an SPI flash programmer (not expensive), you can reflash externally.

2 Likes

This is useful and important information, thank you!
I will also try to find answers from real users here on the forum. Please understand, for me Gnome is terrible ))) I love minimalism in code.

1 Like

I understood that too, thank you. I would like to recommend you to use the Quectel EG25-G LTE modem for the next Libre Mini. This is the only modem I know of that can be used to install free firmware. It is freer than the Librem5 modem (BM818). This will be a great step forward for freedom (my opinion).

1 Like

Excellent, thank you very much for the information. This is exactly what I wanted to clarify. I am not against Pureboot, but situations are different, it is very good that there is such an option that you reported!

1 Like

Yes, Gnome is Super Terrible, cheap opensource programmers behind the project.

:heart:

2 Likes

Hello Carlos. Thank you for your answer. I know you are also a fan of free software, please tell me, have you had any real experience installing Trisquel, Parabola, Hyperbola or Guix? How does Librem Mini work with them?

2 Likes

I am Proudly for GNU Project System, Libre Software. I hate Opensource Linux System.

I just have Gnu Trisquel 11 on my Librem 14 and Coreboot/Seabios.
I have Gnu Guix on my Thinkpad x200 and Gnuboot/Grub.

I think you need Seabios in order to Install Gnu System Trisquel in Librem mini, just type: help, at the end of Seabios to get installer menu.

2 Likes

I guess there are really three issues there:

• Does anyone want an LTE modem in the Librem Mini? Sure there can be use cases for that but I think a lot of customers would not want that.
  • Would an LTE modem work if it were installed? (The device that you have shown in your post appears to be a discrete USB dongle, which might not be what anyone wants, but let’s say we are talking about an equivalent M.2 module or similar.) Is it something that anyone has ever tested?
  • If the LTE modem needs one or more antennae then provision for that would need to be made in the design.
1 Like