Can someone please help me figure out how to properly install WineHQ?

Hello.

I have a Librem Mini Version 2.

Thank you so much for anyone willing to help me here. I really appreciate it, thank you.

I’m a new recent user of Linux, and I’ve put the effort to learn the basics of Linux and PureOS and I think I’ve got the basics down a bit.

However, I’m really afraid of installing WineHQ without guidance. I really want to be able to play Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition (I have the GOG version) and use the Vortex Mod Manager and use the Fallout New Vegas GECK as well so I can mod on my PC. Apparently in the lists of Apps supported by WineHQ, it does support New Vegas and Vortex, and I imagine the GECK will work too, at least I’d get it to work eventually. I intend on using Q4Wine for easy use of WineHQ. Apparently, I need the proper dependencies to properly install WineHQ on PureOS and apparently the dependencies aren’t just installed while doing the steps for installing WineHQ, that’s apparently why there’s significant issues with installing WineHQ on PureOS…At least that’s what it looks like.

I’m just so afraid to completely rely on myself to install WineHQ, as apparently it’s not so simple to do for PureOS because of the lack of proprietary support and official support from Purism. There’s basically no guide specifically for PureOS, and I can’t find anyone who’s posted a proper guide on how to install WineHQ with PureOS.

I know that PureOS is a Debian Distro or something, but I can’t even find out which version of Debian I have, I tried lsb_release -a, but the Debian version doesn’t show up, so I don’t know if I have Buster, Bullseye or Bookworm.

Someone else made a post on this forum about trying to install WineHQ, but there was apparently issues with the 32 bit support, that sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 part.

Basically, it sounds like I literally can’t just follow the guide on the WineHQ website unfortunately, that’s what I got out of the past posts about WineHQ for PureOS. I guess if installing WineHQ for PureOS was simple, there wouldn’t be posts on this forum about it in the first place.

I’m sorry, I’m not that smart. If anyone can give me simple guidance on how to install WineHQ for PureOS, I’d really appreciate it so much. This is an expensive PC, I want to honestly make the most out of it. I even bought an external 1TB SSD Drive just so I can play with more mods, I wonder if I’d have to figure out how to run WineHQ while Fallout New Vegas is installed on the external drive, but I’ll figure that out when I get to it, being able to properly run WineHQ would already be an extraordinary success. I’m genuinely committed to playing and modding Fallout New Vegas on my Librem Mini PC.

…I’d even be willing to pay someone to help me if it actually came to that, commission or donation, as ridiculous as that may sound…But if the only way to actually get the proper help is to incentivize someone with money, I’m willing to do it.

Thank you so much for your time and have a nice day.

PureOS lack 32-bit support entirely, so you cannot install Wine on it. Your best course of action is to move away from PureOS.

I believe Mini v2 ships with PureOS Byzantium, which is based on Debian Bullseye.

1 Like

I just found out that PureOS is version 10 and in the /etc/debian_version file, it says buster.

So at least I now know which Debian PureOS is now, which at least now allows me to properly proceed with the entire WineHQ Debian installation guide if I want to.

I’m still going to wait for any advice or guidance anyway. Given the past posts on this forums, I’d rather wait. Better safe than sorry.

Hello.

Thank you for the reply.

I’ve heard however that Steam properly installs Wine from this forum…Though I don’t know if anyone has actually tried to play Steam games on PureOS.

So, PureOS, literally is just incapable of using WineHQ entirely because of this lack of 32-bit support? I’m not tech savvy, but from what it sounds like, it’s not possible to add/install this 32-bit support apparently?

You’ve nailed it.

Well that’s unfortunate.

Thank you for telling me.

While the first part is definitely correct, in my opinion the best course of action includes giving the problem company, or other entity, who is still using 32 bit, a bit of a nudge. 32 bit is close to dead in the water. This applies on a range of fronts - whether it’s sales of CPUs that don’t have 64 bit support or whether it’s distros that are dropping 32 bit support (or that never had it).

Anyone who is dependent on 32 bit has a problem - and the clock is ticking for them to solve it.

I am talking only about mainstream (x86, ARM) platforms (desktop, laptop, phone). I understand that there are zillions of devices with embedded microprocessors, some on more exotic architectures, that may well be 32 bit ‘forever’ and have no need for 64 bit support.

The beauty of Linux though is that even if your distro drops 32 bit support, you can probably continue to support it yourself if you really are unavoidably locked into 32 bit only.

I think games are the only reason it’s still around. Ubuntu brought 32 bit support back because gamers raised such a stink about losing Steam.

3 Likes