Can't boot into Live session

Hi, I’m interested in trying PureOS on my laptop but failed to do so every time… not successful on any of my laptops
I followed the guide to create the bootable usb.
However, it’s not detected by the system. This is the error message:

“System BootOrder not found. Initializing defaults”
“Reset System”

I had disabled “SecureBoot” already.

edit:
Checked checksum as well.

My laptop spec:
Surface Pro 5. i5 7300U, 8GB Ram,

Another laptop spec:
HP 14dk0002dx A9-9425, 12GB Ram,

Thanks a lot

Do you have a link to the guide that you followed to create your bootable USB? Are your machines set to use UEFI or legacy BIOS?

.iso
https://pureos.net/download/

Bootable usb:
https://tracker.pureos.net/w/recommendations/burn-using-etcher/

Continued.

Check SHA256:
https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/verify.html

BIOS/UEFI:
Changed to “none”

Enter your BIOS/UEFI and make sure that your boot order has USB first in the list.

Etcher should work, but try using dd to make sure that you are writing the USB drive correctly.

Boot into Mint and then use the lsblk command to discover which sd* your USB drive is using. You will see something like this:
$ lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
loop0 7:0 0 55M 1 loop /snap/core18/1880
loop1 7:1 0 62.1M 1 loop /snap/gtk-common-themes/1506
loop2 7:2 0 97M 1 loop /snap/core/9665
loop3 7:3 0 96.6M 1 loop /snap/core/9804
loop4 7:4 0 55.3M 1 loop /snap/core18/1885
loop5 7:5 0 54.8M 1 loop /snap/gtk-common-themes/1502
sda 8:0 0 465.8G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 1K 0 part
├─sda2 8:2 0 12.1G 0 part [SWAP]
├─sda3 8:4 0 39.1G 0 part
├─sda4 8:5 0 69.9G 0 part /
└─sda5 8:6 0 46.6G 0 part /home
sdb 8:16 0 254.9G 0 disk
sdc 8:32 1 14.6G 0 disk
├─sdc1 8:33 1 3.7G 0 part /media/johndoe/PureOS 9.0.0 amd64 1

In this example, the USB drive is using sdc, but in your case it might be sdb, sde, sdf, etc., depending on how many storage devices you have in the machine.

Then unmount the USB drive:
sudo umount /dev/sdc*

Then overwrite the USB drive (this will erase everything on the drive):
dd if=pureos-9.0-gnome-live_20200126-amd64.hybrid.iso of=/dev/sdc
(notice that you use /dev/sdc, and not /dev/sdc1)

See if it is now bootable.
Another thing to make sure is that your .iso image was downloaded correctly and you don’t have a corrupted file in the download.

2 Likes

my usb is formatted, but this script returned a error
“dd: failed to open ‘pureos-9.0-gnome-live_20200126-amd64.hybrid.iso’ no such file or directory”

You need to change to the filename of the PureOS ISO file that you downloaded and if it isn’t in the same directory, then you need to include the path.

oh okay :slight_smile:
I now put the iso on home directory and used sudo dd… seems to be writing to the usb
edit: usually now long does it take? Mine is a 32 GB usb and it’s still writing.
edit2: now its done,
“2904960+0 records in
2904960+0 records out
1487339520 bytes (1.5 GB, 1.4 GiB) copied, 139.203 s, 10.7 MB/s”

Is it now bootable from the USB drive?

First try, no :frowning:
I made USB the first in the order…
Now downloading the iso again from the website

second try, also no :frowning:
should I erase my hard drive and try that way?

I don’t think the USB drive is the Problem never had any problems with sticks written via Etcher. I think the problem is your UEFI implementation that’s not really working with BIOS only boot media.
So i’d suggest that you try the OS if you want to in a virtual machine which is quite easy in your already installed Linux environment

Thanks, Okay, yes and it works on my HP with “Legacy Support” being enabled. So, it is not working on the Surface I guess?
And, under live session (on HP), there’s no Wi-Fi adapter being detected. Are we supposed to install a driver for it?

Thanks. I could test it with my HP but not too sure why it doesn’t work on the Surface… hmm.

If there is no open source driver for the Wi-Fi Module you won’t be able to install it on pure PureOS and need to make some kind of Frankenstein OS out of it by including Debian repos and install it from there not sure that works in a live environment.
You can find some info about it in this thread https://forums.puri.sm/t/terrible-wifi-performance-with-librem13-librem15/
Also you’d probably have the exact same problem with the Wi-Fi Adapter on the Surface.

I see your points :slight_smile: My devices don’t use free driver in the first place…
Good idea on the virtual machine! I created it and can test with general functions.
My intention was to see if Surface’s touchscreen would work with PureOS.

As long as PureOS does not work with UEFI you’ll probably not get PureOS to work on your Surface, and having to use all those no free drivers to get all the parts to work it’ll no longer be PureOS anyway so you could just as well use Debian with Gnome then you have PureOS without beeing pure. Since all the low level Security Features that PureOS brings out of the box only work on Purism Hardware.
There should be no difference.

2 Likes

you will find that here > https://downloads.pureos.net/amber/live/gnome/ < you can grab a more up-to-date build of PureOS. i would still like to see an official torrent approach to dl the .iso files.