Can't figure out reflashing librem 5

Have you checked your antenna connection? Maybe it was never quite reconnected correctly and has subsequently worked loose.

As things don’t seem to be working for you, I would be tempted to disable VoLTE and then re-enable it. I think though that you may need to reboot after each change of VoLTE setting.

2 Likes

Antenna connection: Are those the two fragile connectors on the modem?

VoLTE is worth trying again.

I should explain what I’ve done, in case I missed some setting.

Network Mode 2G, 3G, 4G (Preferred)
Network: Attempt to find Tmobile

Access Points: created and selected TMobile with APN fast.t-mobile.com

In bm818tool, VoLTE is enabled. Below the check Call button, it shows NONE. CBS enable is NOT checked.

1 Like

Yes.

2 Likes

OK…I pushed on them a bit.

No difference, but I want to try again near the tower.

1 Like

I’m still using your layout. :+1:
I do hope your modem issue will be solved.

1 Like

Well, I was asked to send a screenshot. Two days later I did. Now two days later I’ve heard nothing back. Which is pretty much what happened last time (information requested, sent, never heard from support again).

1 Like

Dealing with support myself I know that patience is needed, but they will come back with a response. If I feel they are ‘forgetting’ me, I write a polite request for an update about the matter. Mostly I do this after give or take 10 (working) days.

3 Likes

Good plan.

1 Like

OK, NEWS…Medium-Big news.

I heard back from support, and they requested (in essence) that I turn mmcli debugging on, then try to make a call and capture the journalctl. Very specific with the commands.

So I drove to near that one tower that almost seemed to work last week, but to a slightly different spot. Transferred my SIM card (I’m just waiting for the time I drop it somewhere nonrecoverable during this process…and in a car that’s very easy with something the size of a fleck of paint). Started the Librem5. Went into Mobile settings to select the network.

T Mobile was already selected.

I have NEVER seen that before. In the past, I’ve had to try to select it and maybe, maybe, IF I can even see Tmobile, I can select it and have it show up on the main mobile settings screen. But usually I select it and it does NOT show up on the main mobile settings screen.

So I tried to place the call…and it actually, So Help Me God, worked.

My first phone call on the Librem 5 was to the automated Naval Observatory Atomic Clock, +01 (719) 567-6742. (Nobody there to get annoyed at me calling.)

I kept the log file.

Of course this is the one time I wanted the phone to fail, so it worked. In order for support to see something useful it actually has to NOT work.

But this was easy to fix, or break, actually. I drove about half a mile. From there, if I pointed the phone in one direction, it wouldn’t let me set the network. A slightly different direction, and it did, but this time it failed to make the call after trying for about 15 seconds.

I kept that log file as well, different name.

I sent both to support.

ANYHOW:

This strongly suggests to me my modem is blind. probably, all settings are right (unless there is one that only mostly wrecks your ability to receive a signal). So either the modem is blind…or the antenna is bad…or somehow the connection between the antenna and the modem is bad. (And yes I did try pressing on the connectors a week or so ago.)

2 Likes

Indeed, the most logical conclusion would be the antenna or it’s connection.
Since you have swapped (without success) the modem these are the only two components left.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t completely discount the modem, either.

But we’ll see what support says after reviewing the logs.

1 Like

Please, where are the “Chatty preferences”?
I’m using CHAT (no “Chatty” on L5), there are no preferences.

TIA

1 Like

Chat=Chatty=Chats if we’re talking about the default SMS/MMS application on the L5.

Preferences can be found under the 3-bar “hamburger” menu at the top right of the screen inside Chats.

(“Chats” vs. “Chatty” has to do with the official package name being different from the name displayed in the app grid… as with so very many Linux apps.)

2 Likes

2 Likes

Whatever is used to confuse the name, it’s still as I said,

The hamburger/wrench,3-bar whatever that is called today, has NO preferences.
It has:

• Chat details
  • Block Content
  • Archive chat
  • Delete chat
    and nothing else

NOTE:
There is a blank line below Chat details and above Block Contact
Can we just use what label the icons have?

1 Like

Is this an app that you installed yourself?
Have you reflashed yet? (I ask, because I suppose it’s possible that some new app has been inserted into new OS builds…? I don’t know.)

EDIT: Nevermind. Now I see that you are inside a specific chat instead of at the “home” screen of Chats; this screen shows all the messages you have exchanged with any number. Check the Preferences from that screen.

1 Like

My screen is different. I have, I think, the latest update/grade now.

1 Like

You have to select the menu before you select a chat

2 Likes

1 Like

I didn’t start a chat. The cursor always shows up in the text box on load.
Too, I just closed Chat and opened again and still missing that Preferences line.
My version Chat is also missing the second line down when compared to your image, the line with the [+ Chats spyglass, 3 line/hamburger]

I’d screen cap and send it, but getting that off the L5 and into a connected device is time consuming.

2 Likes