Case for Librem 5?

One concern I have about a case is heat accumulation, as the frame is acting as a heat sink. A protective case would likely need large holes along the side to let heat escape. Maybe some kind of lattice design would work well…? (Unless the case itself were made of some material that rapidly dissipates heat.)

7 Likes

I dropped it onto concrete the second day I owned it. Other than a scratch, everything is okay.

Side note, I dropped it because I cared too much, not too little, it was wrapped in a sock that I grabbed the wrong side up :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Wind it along the edge with 4 thin strips of duct tape. You’d have cut openings for plug holes and the kill switches. But it would give it a softer bounce when it hits the ground.

2 Likes

Hi I’m bouncing on this very important topic: I broke my current phone (not the Librem 5) with a small drop on the screen that shattered.

I have the Librem 5, and I would like to use it but its screen is 2.5D: its relief risks to break the screen after a drop.

I’m not in favor of bag-type protections because as soon as you take the smartphone out, there is a risk of slipping.

I would like to know if anyone knows of a smarpthone with the same dimensions (or just a little smaller) of the Librem 5?
If not, would anyone be willing to 3D print (and sale) a shell? I’ve seen a kind of STL file on this forum, but it’s a bit rectangular on the corners, I think more rounded edges would probably make less damage when dropping on the corners, and the most important thing is the 2.5D screen relief protection via edges surrounding the screen to absorb a “flat” drop.

What do you think? Which material would come closest to the mechanical properties of silicone?

Thank you very much.

1 Like

Question to Purism: Will you workout some solution and offer a case which fits exactly for the L5?

2 Likes

Hot glue. See Will any pre-existing phone cases work for Librem 5? for a little DIY-video linki :smiley:

I agree on the case problem. Fortunetely there is already are stl files available for DIY printing: https://source.puri.sm/Librem-5-Case-Creating-Community/librem-5-model/-/tree/master (I haven’t tested them - yet).

It’s doubtful there could be one that’s as thick as the L5.

But maybe find a match for the height and width, then cut off the back, leaving only a silicone/TPU bumper that would wrap around the L5’s edges and protect the screen somewhat?

In the community-wiki https://source.puri.sm/Librem5/community-wiki/-/wikis/Tested%20Accessories#cases there is listed as 1st item a case which seems to fit, even if it is a bit expensive. But, I couldn’t find a reseller in Europe.

1 Like

they all appear to be more like sleeves and holsters than just regular cases. Purism could 3D print their own company branded cases and I would buy one in a second, especially if it has a kickstand attached.

2 Likes

Thank you all, so to summarize, we have :

• DYI hot glue -> I love my L5 too much to make it up with that !
  • bag-type cases -> I fear to slip it one day or another
  • 3D print -> which material do you recommend ? TPU ? epoxy resin ?
  • An existing silicon case and DYI back cutting to keep surroundings only -> could be the most realistic, we have to find a phone with the same dimensions (Height x Width).

Too bad there is no official silicon case, such a phone is rare. To tell you how important this phone is: I never used silicone protector on my smartphones, but this L5 is different, I’m afraid to break its screen as I did with my current phone.

2 Likes

I found a couple of resources to aid the search for phones with similar dimensions to the L5’s 153mm x 75mm x 15.5mm frame and 5.7-inch/720 x 1440 screen:

https://www.gsmscore.com/model-finder/dimensions/

PDF: https://www.nimarwaterhousings.com/img/cms/SMARTPHONE/Smartphone_Compatibilty_List.pdf
2 Likes

Goes hand in hand with the concept of user replacable parts. (Like the marketing point of the L5 battery.)

Thank you for sharing those links. Seeing gsmscore website, I’ve found that the Samsung Galaxy J7 2017 has almost the same Height and Width than the Librem 5, so I had the idea to buy a TPU shell for experimental purposes. Not sure if it works or if the final result will be aesthetic, but I have to try!

3 Likes

I also think about the screen replacement. This one is a big concern as I can’t find it in the accessories part of the shop (maybe I missed something such as wrong section of the store).

Anything that you 3D print will shatter or crack the first time stress is applied to it. You need a strong case and display protector. I would look more in to milling something bigger to fit, as opposed to printing. Something slightly bigger might be made to fit using thick (foam embedded) two-sided tape to take up any slack space and/or help hold the phone in to the case if the case is slightly bigger.

1 Like

Or a belt sander may be easier than milling. Especially if it only adjusting the corners.

Another idea: after separating the back of the case from the sides, use adhesive Velcro squares to attach it to the back of the L5, cutting a hole for the camera and flash, if necessary. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello, thank you for your proposal, I am a bit discouraged but I shall maybe try it. Please find my feedback about my DIY FAIL ^^ :
First of all, the TPU material is very good to make cases : I can feel it can protect the phone. The dimensions (Height & Width) fit exactly on the L5, the thickness… not at all !
After cutting the back side of the case, I could finally put the case around the L5, however :

• the borders don’t hold the phone anymore because of the missing back: there is no more support.
  • these borders are too thin for the sides of the L5. It is difficult to make cutouts at the buttons and switches.

Conclusion: it is better to print a 3D TPU shell (and ideally that Purism proposes an official shell via a partnership).
My question is: looking at this STL file, I can’t quite figure out if the edges protect the screen by wrapping it slightly or if it’s flat (and therefore not protective). It looks like it does protect the screen, what do you think about it?
Last but not least, do you think it is possible to round the corners a little more to avoid having a too rectangular shape?
Thank you !

1 Like

3D case projects:

Maybe contact the various creators, including @david.hamner.

2 Likes

Hi, so has anyone found a source you can send these 3d designs to and get something printed? not having ever had anything 3d printed I wonder how hard it is… maybe I will just put my phone in bubble-wrap until I get something figured out LOL