Case for Librem 5?

It is late here now so just some simple picture below (I need some daily light for the other ones). Also it is that I’m even more satisfied with this case today … it was made on professional 3D device Stratasys F170 and probably therefore no significant gap present. What I think today is that we need more “meat” around the screen, actually around upper openings to protect more mentioned screen and stabilize sides of used TPU (although material used have shore A value of 92) for case.

NOTE: This is the very first 3D print (draft) from Stratasys authorized representative and I’ll try to make .stl file for the next rubbery case better (this will take some time). Also, I’ll take a look at current case dimensions but cannot comment on those before that. Anyway, just like to repeat it looks like that here related case dimensions are all right (max. gap might be of 0.4 mm, but need to proof this, not sure at the moment to confirm anything).

8 Likes

Woah, there is no gap at all, this is really good !

3 Likes

@Quarnero ok I am sold this looks amazing… I just need help in figuring how to pay some $ and get one of these cases in my hands since I have not 3d printer access…

1 Like

I do not have 3D printer either. And at the moment I cannot order another TPU case for myself because it was very kind favor toward myself from someone that makes professional 3D printing, just a small excursion “trip” for them, but very lucky one for my Librem 5 and I’m therefore thankful to them. Let us see what future will bring (and if I manage to get one reliable address for 3D printing within EU, I’ll let you know @netnut404, actually would like to share with everyone such address here, and/or vice versa get another reliable 3D printing address).

1 Like

looks great, i think i actually would prefer a textured case that is on the harder side but has more friction than the L5 housing. its a beautiful body but for the life of it doesnt want to lean up against anything without sliding flat.

1 Like

This rubbery case is described here (just about right one, as still non-tacky one, or rather I’d categorize as non-tacky one, for sure), please read about which material used (although similar ones exist too):

They love their nearly invisible font, do they? :rofl:

1 Like

I needed something right away, so I bought this $4.50 stretchy silicone case off Amazon.
It’s not perfect and it’s not elegant, but the corner bumpers extend about 3mm from the face of the screen, so you can drop it and it will bounce with no damage. The silicone is quite sticky, so it doesn’t slide instantly in and out of your pocket, but that also means that it won’t accidentally fall out of your pocket. The stickiness also lets me stand the phone up on the table against a lamp so I can point a fan on it (so it doesn’t overheat while charging in the summer). I had to trim it with tiny scissors so the 3.5-mm jack was accessible. You can see from the photo that the back is totally ventilated. The sides are open, too, so you can access all switches and ports. The mic & speakers are not blocked, either.

17 Likes

Thank you so much… that might not be the best thing long term, but I ordered it the moment I saw your photo / link

2 Likes

The openmoko was close to that :slight_smile:

2 Likes

After the pouch I made last year, I made a leather case. I use ~1 mm thick leather that I reinforced with thin fiberglass plates. The closure is secured by 4 small magnets. This case leaves the sides free to keep easy access to all buttons.

I hope it will give ideas to someone else to protect (elegantly?) their Librem5.

14 Likes

That little hole for the LED is an excellent idea, I really like that.

2 Likes

Absolutely fabulous, good craftsmanship!

1 Like

Will cool a similar slim softcase to Librem 5 same like Nokia N9

1 Like

Hello I would like to report something atypical: over time the TPU shell has gradually shrunk and since then I have no gap.
I suspect a contraction due to the printing or chemical treatment of the TPU material. In short, it seems that your dimensions proposed in the last STL are indeed the right ones! thanks

4 Likes

I’m still using it!

1 Like
  • it is cheap, great heat dissipation, anti-slip, seems to provide good protection on corners and to the screen - if it doesn’t twist/retract on impact (i.e. when falling only on one corner)
  • a bit too bulky, gives me a cringing image of Borat on the beach…

Just my impressions looking at it. I will get one, most likely.

2 Likes

I’m sure that is normal. Porous plastic outgases over time and will lose some volume. That is also the cause for that “new plastic smell”.

2 Likes

I’m looking at ordering the flexible case by @fiacco from a printing company that does TPU MJF with chemical finish. Are you happy with your case after using it for a few months? Is it still your primary case or have you ran into problems with it? Most importantly, do you think its thick enough to provide meaningful protection to the phone?

I’m currently reworking my Ender 3 printer and trying to get it to print TPU Ninjaflex, but I’m having issues and it may take a while to fix. I figure the TPU MJF print might be even better long term and visually.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Hello and sorry for my late reply. I can tell you : the case printed in TPU MJF with chemical finish (the last one in black color) looks like in the pictures, to me it is like a professional finish (no visible slice or hole/bump). I still use it as my main case. It is important to mention that during more or less a day, the chemical finish smell a lot. You’d better put it close to a window.

I am very happy with the shape made by @fiacco as it protect the phone well especially around the screen without adding too much thickness. The touch feeling is a good grip in the hand, and also the material feeling is like a silicon case. The 3 holes for passive cooling are really useful, this was not something I expected much for and finally the result is very effective, I think there would be a more rapid and significant overheating if these vents were not in the shell.

The weird experience was that after receiving my case there was a kind of gap (I mean the case was a little bit longer/larger than expected). Fiacco was sure about his dimensions and after waiting a few weeks, the case has thinned itself ! I suspect a kind of contraction of the material after cooling or at standard temperature and pressure). Now the phone is is firmly tightened by the shell.

3 Likes