Chances that the Librem 5 will be usable for work?

I believe that, however, the questions and observations and behavior that the first message refers to will increase: this is because it increases the number of buyers passing from the initial “fervent” FOSS, who are aware of the difficulties faced by the team purism, to less informed Linux enthusiasts.
https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3070223/disgruntled-lawyer-sues-apple-after-facetime-bug-exposes-intimate-client-convo

This, actually, might well work. I don’t know anything about the status of an official client, but there is apparently a very functional Matrix bridge for Slack (https://fahrplan.events.ccc.de/congress/2018/Fahrplan/events/9400.html, https://media.ccc.de/v/35c3-9400-matrix_the_current_status_and_year_to_date). It might require a little bit more configuration (I’ve never tried it), but I do know that Matrix is something that Purism want to function straight out of the box (https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/, ctrl-F for “matrix” to see the various mentions).

1 Like

I think @tg_gpm is right regarding that it does not make too much sense to want a Librem 5, but keep all the “bad” stuff that the Librem set out to avoid. Yes, the user must have the freedom to do so, but it’s also a good opportunity to re-evaluate what one really wants, needs, or thinks to need, or realize that companies made one think to be in need of :wink:

Regarding calls and other capabilities, there have been very detailed reports like this one last May. In a later one there was another video of a call.

I understand it for messengers, because the transition away from one can be very hard. On the other hand, yesterday I watched a FOSDEM talk on Matrix, which I found very exciting. Matrix will be able to, for example, work as a bridge to Slack (!). And Matrix will be available on the Librem 5.

So, a better question might be: which alternatives to X, Y and Z do we actually have?
For example, yesterday I discovered this list of apps that will most likely work on the Librem 5 from the start or early on, including maps/navigation: Mobile GNU/Linux apps

Also, which alternatives do we have to cloud services of “the big five”?
After evaluating some of them (Nextcloud, Purism Services), one might actually find that those might actually be better alternatives, even feature wise.

I agree that one thing that is missing is kindof a complete picture of how all these nice things can play together, how many will be ready in 3 months or in a year, and which things are rather unlikely to happen soon.

4 Likes

I think this is perfectly obvious, and if you’re not planning for it, you’re not planning to succeed.

I’m sorry, but FU if you think it doesn’t make much sense for me to want a Librem 5. I want a Linux phone. I can’t buy one, and I’d like to. However, I’d like it to have basic functionality. Stuff that all of us, even those of you with condescending and superior attitudes, can agree that it should have.

Whether it will, or should, also support non-FOSS software is a wholly separate issue from this more basic issue. The fact that I’m interested in having apps (like Telegram) that are required by work doesn’t mean I don’t want a Linux phone. Can you understand that? I don’t suppose you can.

Anyway, it doesn’t matter; I will probably be able to access Telegram and others via a browser, if the Linux app doesn’t work for some reason.

I think that most of what you asked will work, I would just advise you to not expect it to be able to run proprietary things right away, maybe something/someone will make Telegram work sometime in the future but maybe the watch IoT thing won’t and might never get any support.

If you spent the same amount of time I spent on collecting information for you, considering it, watching the videos, follow links etc., maybe then you actually would be sorry, but for using the F word on me.
The Internet is weird. I’m confused. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

7 Likes

Can we keep it nice and civil, please?
Maybe take a step back and wait a while before responding to each other if the discussion gets a bit heated.

8 Likes

One of the specifics I’m personally curious about is regarding email. There’s no doubt email will work; but will email support the ability to sync with an exchange server (please don’t derail with pop3/imap support via exchange) and more importantly comply with the servers need to “wipe” corporate data?

I know we all don’t want companies to control our devices but in the age of BYOD I don’t think it’s unreasonable for a company to be able to remove it’s data from your device (without affecting the rest of your device).

1 Like

I saw somewhere that Geary is the intended default email client for the Librem 5. You can use the desktop version to get a feel for it.

https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Geary

2 Likes

About the exchange support I don’t know if it would work on day 1 but when Thunderbird is going to get a port to our favorite device (and it’s very much like Firefox so when one is ported the other one will follow) I think that you will have a decent support for Microsoft’s solution.

1 Like

I don’t think it is worth our time to talk to RedWhale anymore. Is there an ignore list somewhere in the forum settings? I can’t find it.

5 Likes

hi all! :slight_smile:
@Caliga gave me the idea to leaving these here:

and a gratis on the topic: alternatives.to

bests for all of u! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t think thunderbird can be expected to work on the Librem or any other phone-type hardware.
Thunderbird is barely maintained as it is, and the resource requirements are quite steep.
But mostly, it’s close to impossible to make the UI work properly, which means a whole new UI would have to be developed.
That’s the reason Mozilla basically rewrote Firefox for Android.
The use some of the same backend libraries, but the whole UI and many other parts are a full rewrite and desktop Firefox shares much less code with Android Firefox than people expect.

Well I do receive updates on a regular basis (I don’t read the changelogs anymore since I don’t care that much about modifications on Thunderbird as long as it gets security updates).

I think that most of the differences between Firefox on Linux and Firefox on Android are due to the use of Java and not really due to UI since Mozilla used a slightly modified Firefox on Firefox OS (not as much as the java/Android version) and it worked pretty well.
At first the support for Firefox and Thunderbird on mobile Linux might probably be done by the community but if we get a significant enough market share Mozilla might pick it up and squeeze the UI.

FIrefox desktop and Firefox Android share the core rendering engine (Gecko) but many other parts are different: all the “chrome” UI is in Java for the Android version instead of XUL for the Destktop one.
About Firefox OS, it was neither java nor XUL, but full HTML, sharing absolutely no UI code with the desktop and android versions.

2 Likes

Good to know, I didn’t know that Mozilla got through the trouble of creating multiple versions of Firefox but did not recycled the code.

About recent and future development of Thunderbird :

Youtube has DRM and it works, why not Amazon Prime?

Instead of Thunderbird you can use Evolution, which also can cope with Office365 / MS Exchange accounts.
And even with TFA.

Greetings.