Charge phone while using it via Monitor

Higher amps is ok, higher voltage is not.

1 Like

More specifically:

uevent gives, while charging with the supplied charger,

POWER_SUPPLY_NAME=tps6598x-source-psy-0-003f
POWER_SUPPLY_TYPE=USB
POWER_SUPPLY_USB_TYPE=C [PD]
POWER_SUPPLY_ONLINE=1
POWER_SUPPLY_PRESENT=1
POWER_SUPPLY_CURRENT_MAX=3000000
POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_MAX=5000000

(which actually isn’t the current current).

You are right, I confued it with /sys/class/power_supply/max170xx_battery/uevent

what about this one? 7.50 V https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/product/belkin-boost-charge-20000-mah-750-w-powerbanks-13350490

All 5V devices were wireless.

You need to stick with 5v. If it says “smartphone” in the description I think you’d be safe. I did find this one pretty quickly though:

do you see a cheaper one that does the same?

It has a 6000 mAh version.

1 Like

I wonder why I get different values. This is with the supplied charger, but while @irvinewade gets max current 3A and max voltage 5V, I have 1.5A and 12V. What are these values?

POWER_SUPPLY_TYPE=USB
POWER_SUPPLY_ONLINE=1
POWER_SUPPLY_PRESENT=1
POWER_SUPPLY_CURRENT_MAX=1500000
POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_MAX=12000000

1 Like

It’s ok because it’s PD (Power Delivery) compliant
45W means the battery can provide 45W, not will always
Here : https://elecjet.com/products/super-fast-charging-powerpie-x-20000mah-power-bank
We can see it provides 5V with a max output of 3A (which is the basic standard in this kind of battery, and probably fallback for PD)

If you get this only for your librem 5 it’s overkill, you may want this if you want to power other things like a laptop (compatible PD), or with a dock and many other things attached to it

1 Like

… with my VAVA hub in the middle:

POWER_SUPPLY_TYPE=USB
POWER_SUPPLY_ONLINE=1
POWER_SUPPLY_PRESENT=1
POWER_SUPPLY_CURRENT_MAX=830000
POWER_SUPPLY_VOLTAGE_MAX=12000000

thank you all, I went with Xtorm XB301 Apollo (15000 mAh, 18 W) :slight_smile:

There are 2 things here :

1. What power supply did you give to your hub ? the description of the hub says :
    " Delivers about 29W for charging the connected laptop and 11W for powering the hub when connected to a 40W power input."
  2. Power delivery is a protocol to negociate what voltage with what maximal current the 2 devices can use

So your result is probably a mix of both, and I think the L5 supports charging at 18W max, so your 12V / 1.5A is the result of the PD negociation 1.5Ax12V = 18W

I’m using the standard L5 charger. OK, I’m starting to see how this works

When did you get your phone? Which batch is it? This shouldn’t happen (but may on devices with older TPS65982 firmware).

Why is that ? the L5 is not suppose to negociate this configuration ? (on the power supply, 12v⎓1.5A is available)

Yes, L5 is supposed to only negotiate 5V with 0.2.0 firmware. The type-C controller is susceptible to the infamous Vbus-to-CC-short failure and even though there are some mitigations in place on Evergreen, the risk of damage is still non-zero so we opted for the safe option of disallowing voltages higher than 5V to make sure it doesn’t happen at all.

The firmware version can be checked with:

purism@evergreen:~$ sudo cat /sys/kernel/debug/tps6598x/0-003f/customer_use
0x4c35445000000200

I got the phone on December 2020. It’s one of the firsts evergreen.

purism@pureos:~$ sudo cat /sys/kernel/debug/tps6598x/0-003f/customer_use
0x4c35445000000101

Should I flash the new firmware?

yes, you can flash the new version of the firmware.

amber or byzantium? I’m still on the former.

Maybe different PD firmware version. I’m on 0.2.0 (I upgraded)

Maybe you are manually overriding with magic i2c commands.

To be honest, I thought Purism was still always limiting it to 5V.

I’m on byzantium, but it’s the firmware, as @dos said few rows above. Latest version (0.2.0) actually limits the voltage to 5V.

1 Like