Chatty crashes on start when modem is on

So I finally got around to try calls and SMS tonight, and it appears that Chatty crashes on start when the modem is on. I can start Chatty when the modem is off (I don’t need to use the kill switch, turning off mobile service is enough). I was able to set the APN etc. in the Chatty parameters with the modem off, but it didn’t help.

Has anybody else experienced such an issue?

NB Mobile data works fine, and so do voice calls.

Here’s the output I get when starting chatty from the terminal:

[0:02:41.779606395] [2499]  INFO Camera camera_manager.cpp:293 libcamera v0.0.0
[0:02:41.790657525] [2512] ERROR SimplePipeline simple.cpp:1292 No sensor found
22:40:55.8655            GStreamer[ 2499]:CRITICAL: gst_element_message_full_with_details: assertion 'GST_IS_ELEMENT (element)' failed
22:40:55.8688            GStreamer[ 2499]:CRITICAL: gst_element_message_full_with_details: assertion 'GST_IS_ELEMENT (element)' failed
22:40:55.8695            GStreamer[ 2499]:CRITICAL: gst_element_message_full_with_details: assertion 'GST_IS_ELEMENT (element)' failed
22:40:55.8708            GStreamer[ 2499]:CRITICAL: gst_element_message_full_with_details: assertion 'GST_IS_ELEMENT (element)' failed
22:40:55.8712            GStreamer[ 2499]:CRITICAL: gst_element_message_full_with_details: assertion 'GST_IS_ELEMENT (element)' failed
Oops, secure memory pool already initialized
22:40:58.6277       chatty-mm-chat[ 2499]:CRITICAL: chatty_mm_chat_find_user: assertion 'CHATTY_IS_MM_CHAT (self)' failed
chatty-mm-account:ERROR:../src/mm/chatty-mm-account.c:386:chatty_mm_account_append_message: assertion failed: (CHATTY_IS_CHAT (chat))
Bail out! chatty-mm-account:ERROR:../src/mm/chatty-mm-account.c:386:chatty_mm_account_append_message: assertion failed: (CHATTY_IS_CHAT (chat))
Abandon

P.S.: anybody knows how to copy-paste from the terminal? I had to connect a mouse to right-click > copy, Ctrl-Shift-C didn’t work.

Either hold with your finger or click the >_ -> menu

Try killall chatty 3 times then try again

I experienced that issue for a period of time. What helped in my case was doing a modem firmware update, and then after that SMS messages came pouring in. I don’t know if it was the firmware update itself or if the update simply helped unclog the modem queue somehow.

Nothing like that for me. Opening Chatty works whether or not my modem is on or off, although almost all of the time it is on since that is how I use Chatty in the first place.

Thank you all for your answers. A few precisions/news:

• My modem is freshly reflashed, version is M100E_YCSN0_1.0.0_220926.
  • I tried with another SIM (and different carrier), and everything works as expected – including receiving (not sending) MMS messages once I got the APN configured. So I’m wondering if this is a carrier issue; I’d rather not switch carriers though…
  • SMS messages sent to my number while my main SIM was in the L5 were apparently received, I could see them after starting Chatty with the other SIM (but not when I started it with the modem off the other day, oddly enough).
  • As you can see in the console output, the camera is not detected, even though the physical switch is in the “on” position, and indeed millipixel says that “Selected camera is not available” – this is another issue though.

@ASwyD2: thank you for the menu button tip for copying from the terminal, it works (long press right click doesn’t).

Killing chatty doesn’t help, there is no chatty process running anyway.

2 Likes

This delete sms via mmcli solved the issue for me. See Since the last update, I no longer receive text messages - #10 by Marts.

1 Like