Comparing the Librem 5 USA and PinePhone Beta

Why would you think that? I would assume that they will send you a new phone. That will get you a quicker turnaround, I would guess. (I understand that the replacement phone may not reach you personally for some time anyway but Purism might not take that into account.)

Perhaps “A certain fruit logo” was an attempt at humour, which evidently in that case fell flat for you. All good. We’re all different.

1 Like

Yeah Librem 5 usb-c cable feel genuine like usb-if certified, well all cheap Pinephone has a big Errata on eMMC which runs as the speed of HS100.

1 Like

I typically lean towards in-depth articles rather than short overviews, the articles I read however, tend to be more focused on the subject avoiding any lengthy meandering.

When I read a tech article, I tend to have my tech head on which means that unless the humour is a bit more obvious, peppered throughout, I may well miss it, so perhaps you are correct.

1 Like
3 Likes

I already own 2 Pinephones, 1 16gig UBports branded one running Ubuntu Touch and one unbranded 32gig model running KDE plasmamobile. I am hoping one day these phones can be used as potential daily drivers and aren’t abandoned for the Pinephone Pro version.

Librem 5 is closer to a daily driver than Pinephone. Both have a lot of issues, but Librem 5 is getting there as a daily driver.

From https://www.pine64.org/pinephonepro/

Will you keep on producing and selling the original PinePhone?

Absolutely! There are many people who either need a less expensive option or simply aren’t ready to make the commitment to switch to a Linux smartphone just yet. The PinePhone will keep on catering to this crowd for the foreseeable future.

Moreover, we believe that the PinePhone will retain its position as the most popular mobile Linux development platform on the market due to its price point and broad adoption. We know that the development community depends on the PinePhone’s continued availability, so we will produce it for as long as there is demand and available components.

1 Like

PINE64 promises to manufacture the PinePhone for 5 years, because it wants to be a platform for tinkerers to make mods and to support the A64 in many form factors (phone, tablet, SBC and laptop) so the mods can be used in many types of devices. The communities that make the distros for the PinePhone are unlikely to abandon it as long as there are users still interested in using it.

PINE64 will be supporting three processors (A64, RK3399 and RK3566) in many form factors, which will give people a lot of choice in the future. PINE64 is also planning an SBC based on the RK3588 which will finally give us a competitive chip with Snapdragon, MediaTek, Exynos and A-series, but it looks like it will be a while before we have a FOSS driver for its GPU.

Jacob Crume at It’s Foss used a Pinephone for a year and tested its various operating systems: https://news.itsfoss.com/pinephone-review/

3 Likes