Compatible External CD/DVD Drive?

Unfortunately, I only use Linux and can’t repeat the test. But the borg backup configuration directory copied to the UDF-formatted USB flash drive looks like this:
# ls -lhR /media/usb0
/media/usb0:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 268 Jan 23 15:20 backups

/media/usb0/backups:
total 12K
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 130 Jul 10 2019 40-backup.rules
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 74 Jul 25 2019 backup.disks
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 58 Jul 21 2019 backup.sources
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 12K Jan 23 15:20 borg_autobkp_all_repos.sh

I have the Librem 13. My old CD/DVD drive works just fine with it. Also, I have not had any trouble getting MP3s I purchased online to work as is on Rhythmbox, though I usually buy them through lesser-known vendors.

The comment

exFAT – In Linux, support requires third party driver.

was I think correct at the time it was made (five years ago) but may be incorrect now. So maybe exFAT is also an option today.

1 Like

I agree, using the exFAT is also possible, but it does not store the file permissions and ownership. A copy of the same ‘backups’ directory on the exFAT-formatted USB flash drive looks like this:
# ls -lhR /media/usb0
/media/usb0:
total 64K
drwxrwxrwx 1 root root 32K Jan 23 15:20 backups
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 334 Jan 29 03:30 exfat_usb_key.txt

/media/usb0/backups:
total 128K
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 130 Jul 10 2019 40-backup.rules
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 74 Jul 25 2019 backup.disks
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 58 Jul 21 2019 backup.sources
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12K Jan 23 15:20 borg_autobkp_all_repos.sh

The original file ‘exfat_usb_key.txt’ was owned by a non-root user. This is a clear difference between UDF and exFAT file systems. How important it is to the user is another matter.

Does ownership (or ACLs) work in this scenario anyway? Where a user or group etc. is identified by a numeric value, that value is unlikely to have the same meaning across different computers.

1 Like

@kieran Thanks for the idea. I have never used ACL, but I will look at this variant in detail.

I appreciate the ongoing responses. The only other options in the Mac OSX Disk Utility are MS-DOS (FAT), ExFAT, or Mac OSX Extended.

My shortest answer is: I am simply looking to transfer files from My Mac Computer to Pure OS, once I have the Purism 15" Laptop. Not really looking to do anything fancy, just simple file transfer of my music and other document files (PDFs, Office Software Files, Jpeg’s, etc.).

Edit: Unless it is a bit more complicated than I thought.