Computer has gotten laggy

Hello,

I’ve been using PureOS 9 Gnome for a couple of years now without any problems. But I’d say in the last couple of months, things have gotten laggy. Typed letters take time to appear. Videos render poorly. Clicks are slow to register, etc. Running top shows that gnome-shell is taking up 30% of cpu, but I don’t know why. I’ve got Firefox and Thunderbird running, and that’s it. I have no idea why this problem started, since I haven’t changed anything in forever.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Try a live boot in order to test the system as it was / with nothing extra installed / with no settings set?

Upgrade to PureOS 10? Could be there’s a bug that has already been fixed.

Fault isolate between Firefox, Thunderbird or neither?

You’ve provided no details about the hardware but I assume you are not talking about a Librem 5.

Not even applying software updates as and when they become available?

Even with linux, computers collect a lot of junk. Suggest run bleachbit periodically.

1 Like

Running Librem 15 with 32 GB RAM
Intel® Core™ i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz × 4
I’ve downloaded KDE Plasma PureOS 10, so I’ll run that Live and see how it works. Thanks!

@tracy i would caveat that if you run bleachbit in admin/root mode as i did when i first started using ubuntu on my macbook pro 2011 i killed the os and had to reinstall it. i havent used bleachbit since.

I don’t get an “admin” option. I get regular and “as root”.

I run both every week, no issues.

Then again it seems you have avoided 10 years of updates. Maybe they fixed your issue?

1 Like

corrected :slight_smile:

it did not was a new version of ubuntu and bleachbit and it wiped files the os needed so it could not boot any longer.

I guess the old meme “your mileage may vary” (YMMV) applies.

Thanks! Yes, it is quite useful on Librem 5 as well, here is what I’ve used up to now:
sudo apt install bleachbit
bleachbit --list-cleaners
sudo bleachbit --clean apt.*