Current L5 Idle Battery Life

Even the modem could go into a sleep / lower-power state provided that it can wake up on incoming call, and then wake up the CPU - and provided that everything can wake up fast enough to take the call in time.

However we are all speculating and this is a low level area where there is no substitute for detailed internals and kernel knowledge.

2 Likes

Battery life continues to be really poor on my Librem5 with Byzantium. This morning I used the kill switches to turn off both mobile and wifi/BT. Left phone at home with battery at 90% and went for a walk of no more than one hour. Coming back, the battery was at 78%. After another hour with all kill switches on, the battery was at 66%.

i.e. no difference in battery drainage with or without kill switches on. Is that normal? Also sounds like many users are experiencing about 10% hourly drain when idle, my L5 is obviously doing worse than that.

On the same topic, phone gets very hot when connected to mobile data (or attempting to connect) and battery drainage can be as much as 20% per hour when that happens. This are real life situations when I have left the house and data should switch from wifi to mobile data and the phone left idle in a bag or pocket for a few hours.

Exactly. Even with most of the hardware switched off the thing barely runs half a day. The kill switches are supposed to physically power off the corresponding device, am I right? So what’s left then, the display is switched off, which leaves the CPU. I’m no expert, but somehow I am having trouble believing that switching the CPU from Idle into some low-power state will decrease power draw by a factor 10.

Let’s hope it will, and does so before it actually ships.

So what you’re saying is, they chose the wrong hardware to do the job?

Honestly, I don’t know how many Librem 5 customers really care to have an open-source modem in their phone. I know I don’t. Maybe Purism should have offered an all-open-source/private/libre/whatever version of the phone for a premium price for the paranoid, a bit like the Librem 5 USA, and just make the Librem 5 a working smartphone with an open operating system and app ecosystem.

2 Likes

No, that’s not what @carlosgonz is saying.

It means that they prioritised security, privacy and openness as more important than, say, performance or power consumption.

As it happens, it isn’t.

2 Likes

I do! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Another observation. 4 hours, from about 90% to 30%, all killl switches to off most of the time. We are talking about 15% drain per hour, idle with every switch off. Not good.

1 Like

The display was ON all time? Librem 5 already has a WIP inactive mode when the display is OFF.

1 Like

The display was off all the time.

1 Like

@dos Do you think we can improve the Inactive mode on L5 when Lockdown mode is ON like lowering more the clock of CPU.?

Edit: i am not tested this behavior yet. I scared the battery consumption time of the L5 with the power bank of 4500.00

Some movement? Go, Martin Kepplinger!

9 Likes