Custom clearance EU, especially L5

I was so surprised that I double and triple checked that, suspecting the processing fees are included in the total, but no. Customs fee and tax only.

1 Like

Here be dragons Poland. Time is relative. It was few days to jump across The Pond, and then… Some things are just beyond control.

Still a radical improvement, some of my orders from various sellers are held in customs for months. In one case it was four months, and it took a lawyer and official complaint in administrative court to get it to move.

All in all, the DHL service is the best here.

1 Like

I will remember …good to know …when my L5 will be dispatched. Once I had other stuff coming from the US which was returned just because the forwarder failed to give me notice of the arrivel. I will follow Your recomendation and choose DHL :+1:t2:

What alternative do you have, when Purism ships via DHL?

this is something i can’t provide (anymore) because this is 3 years ago! and i can’t tell them the parcel content, i expect the sender describes that - i can’t know what they put in.

when i got my l5-dev it was just delivered and around a week after i got an invoice from dhl to pay the tax (and probably the fee, don’t remember).

I remember that Purism wanted to simplify the process by starting a dependance in Europe, as far as i understand there is even something in Germany already. Didn’t that happen?

1 Like
1 Like

Customs regulations are different for each country. Odds are they are way simpler in your country.

1 Like

Well, I don’t know. I haven’t received any e-mail yet with offered alternatives for the L5 :slight_smile: and Purism’s FAQ is saying “USPS Priority Mail International or DHL for international shipments” :man_shrugging:

In Germany, you do not have to pay the DHL fee. You can deny their services and go pick up your package at customs yourself and pay the VAT and taxes (whichever applies) there. Done this a couple of times.

6 Likes

Nice! @Torrone and others, please start to make difference between DHL Express and regular (cheap) DHL package. I explained this already somewhere here within Forum. Thank you @Dwaff on your update, as this means Purism pays for the delivery by means of more expensive package delivery service (without extra fee for the customer) with tracking number (helps in terms of directly contacting Customs, by phone initially if needed but with email correspondence exchange as main way of your purchase proof, etc.)! And, I’m confirming that this DHL Express delivery works very same way here in Germany as in Poland, as already explained in above related post from Dwaff.

2 Likes

How did you manage to do that? Where to deny their service, when and how?

When the items arrived at customs in Berlin, DHL sent me a notice about the arrival and offered to handle it for a specified fee. I took the opportunity to deny the offer and contacted the mentioned customs office directly. When you go for pick-up, make sure you carry cash, as in my case, credit cards were not accepted (at the time). Last 2 items I picked up that way were PinePhone and ~ a month ago a PineTab.

5 Likes

It is different for each country. Here in Finland I can have DHL (or some other delivery company) handle the customs but it is quite easy to do it yourself over the net. I fill in the declaration, pay the fee and the post office will deliver the package. Fairly fast procedure.

2 Likes

When I was clearing pinephones I’ve figured even CZ made a progress towards online clearance. I’ve got a paper letter from them initially, and needed to fill in some forms (and scan them) and attach some evidences of the purchase. One of the form was to register me an online account so the rest of the communication (even response to the first paper mail) was over internet. So yes, fairly easy, just one online interaction.

1 Like

I effin hate DHL Express. DHL Express guy usually just shows up at your doorstep and expects the exact amount in cash. Ugh

It will turn out just fine if and when you receive your DHL tracking number. You should have chance to pay for necessary VAT in advance, actually you need to react in advance as I don’t think that driver of DHL Express van will even load your long awaited package for you (in direction where you’ll wait for it), if necessary not payed in advance.

For example and if you are in Germany, and as @Caliga already recommended (somewhere in this Forum), I’d register here as soon as needed (if not already).

nope, it turned out just as I predicted. Despite having an active account on dhl.de (and adding the tracking number to the receiving packages!) the driver just rang the doorbell and asked for the money in cash. No email in advance, no opportunity to pay in advance. Nothing.
As I didn’t have the money in cash with me I asked him to come again tomorrow. DHL Express is an utter shitshow, at least here in the southwest

3 Likes

Can’t you refuse to accept their services? They came once for the cache to friend of mine and he refused to pay. So they returned the package back to the customs hub where he picked it himself for the half of that price.

3 Likes

I had the same experience as @drs, but the delivery man was kind enough to drive me to the bank and back.
Total amount charged was 125 EUR, mostly taxes. The postmen does not have change and no opportunity to bill a credit or master card.

That’s in fact a very uncommon and surprising procedure, not unlikely to fail. I thus called DHL Express to ask what to do about it. The answer was, that Purism could provide DHL with an email address of the recipient, who is then informed in advance about the amount and offered an option to pay cash-free. That is an option at least. Otherwise, one better keeps some cash at hand, as soon as the delivery is announced.

2 Likes

I thought I’d drop in an unrelated-to-Librem note that might help people judge whether refusal to accept is a viable option for them.

I recently had something sent to me that should have been delivered by DHL Express. The item didn’t arrive when it should have and was registered as refused by recipient in their system. Nobody had tried to contact me. I quickly moved to correct this but this didn’t stop the item from being returned to the sender. Fortunately, a representative from the sender’s excellent customer service department arranged for a replacement to be sent and the order arrived the second time. I was fortunate that there was no import duty to be paid in my case.

So, be careful if you refuse the item unless you can be sure that importing it yourself is the fallback option.

Really, given the amount of complaints about DHL Express I’ve seen, I would hope that another service could be used to deliver these phones. The poor service impacts what should be a good experience for customers.

3 Likes