Desired Improvements For The Librem 15v4

There are 2 categories of improvements I’d like to see for the Librem 15 v4

1. Ones where I will likely not buy the laptop if absent:
  • Qubes 4.x compatible
  • A thunderbolt 3 port
  • a current CPU (i7 8550U or similar)
  1. And ones that would be great to have, but their absence will not prevent me from purchasing:
  • Ethernet port
  • A mechanism by which 2 external monitors can be hooked up (2nd HDMI?)
  • A second RAM slot
  • 2400MHz RAM (System76 has it with their new laptops)
  • Not a 4k screen. Unnecessary. Go QHD if you’re getting tons of pressure for a high res.

Note: If Purism is able to articulate very good reasons for not including anything listed under 1), I may still purchase

2 Likes

I want there to be options for the 4k screen for sure.

What I hope for is that they’ll upgrade the processor to a current one, and I’ll get a 1080P screen with it - I find some applications and websites don’t scale well beyond 1080P and more importantly it’s not as hard on the system.

If Canonlake & Icelake are expected to have hardware-level fixes for Meltdown / Spectre then I’m cool with waiting until those come out, but if not I guess no sense in it.

Far as memory goes, I’d like to see ECC memory that uses TRR (rowhammer mitigation).

I am very interested in the idea of Purism, but the hardware seems limited:

• No Swedish keyboard.
  • Display resolution is 10 % lower than on the laptops that I bought in 2009 and 2004!
  • No Ethernet port. I assume that Ethernet still gives lower round-trip times than WiFi.
  • Memory should be ECC as several said already, and use rowhammer mitigation as the previous poster said.
  • My next computer should have 32 GiB RAM to follow my trend of buying 4 times as much as last time (8 GiB, 2 GiB, 512MiB, 128 MiB, 32 MiB, 8 MiB).

You know what I keep forgetting? That ECC needs a compatible processor which IIRC only Xenons are, and I highly doubt we’re ever going to be putting Xenons into these laptops.

Honestly some of the stuff I say really does show that I have limited understanding of what I’m talking about and am just parroting things I read elsewhere, so yeah, my bad.

Sorry for keeping suggesting that. I’m honestly not sure what you need for mitigation either, I read that only some forms of “LPDDR4” have the hardware-level mitigation and that it’s optional and thus may not be enabled by default.

The point is that I’d like to see hardware-level mitigation for the decade-old ROWHAMMER vulnerability I’ve read about which sounds rather serious and surprisingly little has been done about it hardware-side.

And of course, Meltdown and Spectre need to be considered when choosing the next revision’s hardware. Purism should seek hardware not vulnerable to these threats, and wait until the next generation of processors if that is required (assuming the next generation will be fixed hardware-level). Purism should probably contact Intel and inquire about when a hardware-level fix may be available I figure.

If Intel has no plans to fix the issue properly, then perhaps it really is time to start talking to AMD and ARM instead and see if they’ll have CPUs without those flaws.

All in all, I do want performance increases, but also security improvements that get rid of all these old exploits. I’d like to see Meltdown, Spectre, and Rowhammer to all be fixed hardware-level in the Librem 15 v4.

1 Like

I’d like to see these options in the upcoming Librem 15 versions:

• Quad-Core
  • 32 GB RAM
  • a thunderbolt 3 port
  • a better CPU and thus better GPU

Ethernet port missing is not a huge deal, but why not including an ethernet adapter in the options? They are pretty cheap, and people will be more likely to receive everything from you and at the same time, rather than waiting to receive first their laptop and their adapter after few weeks or so. Plus, you’d get a small profit out of this. To me it looks like a win win situation.
Does the internet speed gets limited if using an ethernet adapter? If so, roughly by how much (%)?

Thanks

2 Likes
  1. Good to have the touchpad centered on the screen (not space bar). Mac Book 15" layout is good for example

2. Please add English-Russian keyboard option - many people will want to buy it from Russia or Ukraine.

3. And yes, more modern processor would be good: i7 with 4 cores 8 threads, some i7 HQ if possible

4. Much bigger battery capacity, for example like Lenovo Yoga 920 has, which allows to work

• 10,8 h on 4k monitor variant and

• 15,5 h with FullHD monitor

Thanks! Good notebook!

[quote=“Aleksey, post:38, topic:1902”]Good to have the touchpad centered on the screen (not space bar). Mac Book 15" layout is good for example[/quote]I doubt it. Have VOSTRO | 1720 with the touchpad centered on the keyboard excluding the numeric part. If the touchpad were centered on the screen, it would be accidentally touched a lot by the right hand while typing.

About the need for pervasive use of ECC memory.

Touch-pad and keyboard layout not a big deal to me so. Points 2,3,4 are most important to me.

Caps Lock and NumLk state indicators!!! Audible feedback keeps me from going completely insane, but visual would be much, much better.

Volume controls that can be operated with one hand. I’ve got big hands, but its still more often a miss than a hit to reach Fn and the up-down arrows with thumb and pinkie. Definitely out of reach for the vast majority.

V3 keyboard and track pad are above my expectations, but the above are definite deficiencies IMO.

Oh wow, looks like this thread just got necroed.

I made a new thread that compiled a lot of things here into it and is better worded.

Please Do Not Reply To This Old Thread Anymore.

Use The New One Instead.

Thanks.

Damn straight. I want my ethernet port back - I’m not done with it yet.

1 Like

Ditto on:

thunderbolt 2 or 3

and use rowhammer mitigation

My 1st gen Librem 15 laptop already got this :+1:

a moderator please close this thread. there is a new one similar to this one. thank you !

The older thread was merged into this one.

Just so everyone knows, if I could go back and edit the post, I’d probably remove the 4K resolution and demands for IceLake. 1080P is fine and it looks like IceLake won’t be coming until late 2019 or even 2020. I only hope chips before that will get the Meltdown / Spectre fixes.

Truthfully I’m just thankful for any improvements and more options. I think all in all Purism should simply just provide more options rather than just a set package deal that you can’t edit.

Currently your only options when choosing a laptop are in the memory and storage.

I will stick by the rest of them though, especially my desire for a more multi-core CPU. Dual-core Skylake is just silly now I think. Intel 9th-Gen will have 8 Cores and the AVX-512 instruction set, not to mention as with every generation it’ll have improved per-core performance. Aside from all that - chipset improvements too.

Thus, if you’d upgrade to the 9th Generation chips, it’d be a massive upgrade from those dual-core Skylakes. I’d seriously consider it if I were Purism.

They haven’t been released just yet, but I think the company should pounce on them to put in their next laptop release when they do. I suppose IceLake will have to be for the Librem 15 v5 and it’s sisters sometime in 2019 or 2020.

Two thing to add if it’s not to late:

• Caps Lock on/off light and NumLk light.
  • Ability to run 3 monitors (laptop monitor + 2 externals) via HDMI or USB C
1 Like

one more. mute out ethernet sending capability in the HDMI port such as that even if the HDMI cable can transport ethernet data it can’t because of electrical dead wiring.

I would also strongly support the idea of having Thunderbolt 3 on the notebook! It would be great to have just one cable to do everything - i.e. change the notebook, connect all the peripherals - keyboard, mouse, printer, DVD drive, external monitor(s) plus all the connectivity (network cable, audio cables).
Moreover the rest of my family could easily use the same setup with their MacBook or PC with Windows without the any modification. All necessary interfaces are already implemented directly on the interface which is a great advantage compared to USB docking station.

1 Like