Devkit for ubports

Good to hear Purim take a litte time to exchange with an “official partner”. Lack of communication is a part of the difficulties.

3 Likes

So, if the problem is not on the kernel side, where is it?
Why others projects haven’t the same requirement?

The way I read this thread, it comes across to me more as ubports made a post claiming it may cause delays/problems/whatever because they don’t want to overpromise. They have been told that there are no meaningful differences between the devkit and phone as shipped but I don’t expect they will redact/withdraw their statement and if pressured will ultimately stand by it on the grounds that if someone who gets the phone before them has issues they will be troubleshooting on different hardware that may result in a different experience.

This comes across to me less as a “we need the phone or this won’t work” and more as a "without a phone we may not be able to successfully troubleshoot an issue someone with the phone encounters.

It is an unknown, not a known negative.

4 Likes

Obviously, it’s impossible for UBports to announce UT is available for Librem 5 as an officially supported device without having at least the real device in hand.

Sorry for the late reply. I didn’t get a notification for your message, or maybe I missed it in the list…

I don’t know any more about the situation than you do. :slightly_frowning_face:

With respect to the comments in the video about development kits being sent out late to UBports, I should point out that other development teams also received their kits quite late, though not as late as July. In some ways the process around sending them out to non-backers didn’t go as smoothly or as quickly as hoped. I’m sure it could have been handled better, but I guess we can learn from that experience.

7 Likes

Given the recent events, I decided on monday to ask for a refund after backing the project since almost two years. I am happy to report I received my refund today. I know another person who did the same.

Dear Purism, since you have now two devices less to deliver to backers, please send the two devices you already planned for production to the UBPorts guys. Thank you!

I just wanted to chime in and say that I support Purism sending 2 devices from the Birch batch to UBports.

Not only will it silence many of the critics on r/linux and r/Purism if UBports has its hands on a Librem 5, but collaboration with UBports will do a lot to bolster Purism’s reputation in the community.

6 Likes

r/whatever cannot be silenced :slight_smile:

4 Likes

There will always be critics, whatever their motivation.

2 Likes

Let 'em talk - Die Ärzte

Did you do what nobody had?
Wearing high-heels or even a hat?
Or did you dare to wear quite short of a skirt,
without asking neighbors for permission first?

Obviously now they avoid you for good,
you’re a disgrace for the whole neighborhood!
You don’t even know exactly their names,
while they verbally put you in flames.

Let the people talk, and don’t listen to them.
Most people don’t intend to do harm.
Most people have nothing better to get done.
Let the people talk, by day and by night.
Let the people talk - nothing new under the sun.

Certainly a bank you have raided:
Your rent, how else you could pay it?
Your name is on the US terrorist list, yes.
Because you were Bin Ladens’ favourite mistress.

Do you daily shave your facial hair?
Or did you bury a corpse over there?
That is what the neighbors insinuate,
so don’t be surprised, police will knock at your gate.

Let the people talk, and don’t listen to them.
Most people don’t intend to do harm.
It’s what their boring life entails:
Have it spiced up by telling fairytales.

And with doubtlessness
they don’t feel ashamed
they lack a trace of judiciosness.
Time and again they display their ignorance and xenophobia.

Did you hear the rumor of the day?
Prostitution is how your bills you pay.
Near the station for wooers you wait,
been seen by a friend’s acquaintance’s mate.

Let the people talk, smile along and yes:
Most folks educate themselves by social media yellow press.
Which consists of, as surely we all know,
Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt fear, hate, tits and the weather of tomorrow.

Let the people talk, coz it’s always like this of course:
While they keep taking at least they can’t do worse.
A trace of hypocrisy can serve you well:
Stay polite and don’t respond to their chat,
no better way to drive 'em mad.

2 Likes

I didn’t order a dev kit, but just want to thank you for your fair strategy :slight_smile:

Is it /r/whatever or Instagram? Sounds more like insta on /r/whatever …and are developer influencers a thing? Is there a such a thing as a tech yelp? So many questions… :wink: