Electrum + Ledger Nano S not recognized

I am trying to use electrum (version 3.0.6) with my Ledger Nano S. It works fine on my Windows machine, but is not recognized on my Purism. I get an error from electrum that “No hardware device detected.”

I followed the instructions from Ledger: https://support.ledgerwallet.com/hc/en-us/articles/115005165269
I have verified that I am a member of group ‘plugdev’. Browser support is disabled.

Also tried multiple USB ports and cables, no luck. Seems to be recognized and have rw permissions:

$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 011: ID 2c97:0001
$ ls -al /dev/bus/usb/001/011
crw-rw---- 1 root plugdev 189, 10 Feb 21 08:41 /dev/bus/usb/001/011

Has anyone got a Nano S to work, any suggestions?

Hi @pooryorick,

Did you visit the following thread?

Hi @thib, yes I followed that thread and got the chromium app working. I would prefer to use electrum if possible, but at least I have something.

When I tried running sudo pip3 install btchip-python I got a fatal error in compilation.

hidapi/libusb/hid.c:47:10: fatal error: libusb.h: No such file or directory
#include <libusb.h>
^~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
error: command ‘x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc’ failed with exit status 1

Failed building wheel for hidapi
Running setup.py clean for hidapi
Failed to build hidapi

hidapi/libusb/hid.c:47:10: fatal error: libusb.h: No such file or directory
#include <libusb.h>
^~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
error: command ‘x86_64-linux-gnu-gcc’ failed with exit status 1

----------------------------------------

Command “/usr/bin/python3 -u -c “import setuptools, tokenize;file=’/tmp/pip-build-6vcvss8u/hidapi/setup.py’;f=getattr(tokenize, ‘open’, open)(file);code=f.read().replace(’\r\n’, ‘\n’);f.close();exec(compile(code, file, ‘exec’))” install --record /tmp/pip-0zy76hjb-record/install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile” failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-build-6vcvss8u/hidapi/

I found the solution, btchip-python was the missing piece.

sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev libudev-dev
sudo pip3 install btchip-python

That worked no problem and now Electrum + Ledger works great.

1 Like