EVERGREEN: Librem caller sounds muffled to the recipient

Call recipient reports that I sound muffled during phone call. I tested again by calling my home phone. Since there was a slight delay from one network to the next, I could tell that my voice does sound muffled on the other end. Intelligible, but muffled. My mobile carrier is an AT&T MVNO that usually sounds great.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, hope the call quality improves.

1 Like

And obviously, this might just be an issue with my phone and not necessarily anyone else’s’.
The phone was connected to the charger at the time of the call.

1 Like

joke : is it just me or is that StingRay looking toward me ? :joy:

2 Likes

At this moment we’re gathering audio from both microphones (top and bottom one) and apply quite strong echo cancellation - I guess that’s where the “muffled” voice comes from. Echo cancellation parameters can still be tweaked (I settled on a set of params that’s pretty close to PulseAudio’s defaults so far), and of course we could only use a single microphone from the other end than the currently active speaker; however, I haven’t figured out a clean way to do that yet as there’s bunch of non-obvious obstacles on the way there. Let’s see if we can come up with a clean solution before we resort to ugly hacks though :smiley:

14 Likes

Nah, its your throat mic at 30,000 feet at Mach 2.

Posting it here as well since it’s very related:

2 Likes

Thanks for doing this