Evolution of the Librem 5 design

Metal interferes with RF signals. In order to have a metal back cover, you would need to build the antenna into the back cover or into the metal outer frame or put plastic strips in the back cover that cover the antenna.

The other problem with a metal back cover is that you would need to have exposed screw holes in the cover or make a metal cover with plastic pressure tabs, so a mixed material cover.

2 Likes

evolution of L5 - from metal back cover to plastic to wood to nothing for maximum RF signals.

depends on your use case i guess … you could mod yours with a 4cm diam noctua fan to blast that heat away.

it does have a usb C port - and there are 5v fans out there.

the only thing science is missing is imagination …

2 Likes

OK to mark the below as off topic …

Ah, I remember Shenzhen, stayed back in those days at the Shenzhen Bay hotel. It was our company’s contract hotel. Beds were hard as a rock. Don’t leave your electronics in the room (it wouldn’t get stolen but it may have been “accessed”.) Take showers with your eyes closed. Bring a bottle cheap scotch to sanitize your metal utensils (also light them off with your lighter but that may cause a disturbance). Across the street was a new WalMart, the fresh food section was also like the fresh market, i.e. live seafood critters in the fish tanks. (Not just lobster like in the U.S.) TsingTao beer was only 35 cents a bottle (after converting from RMB). Remember drinking a sip of fresh tea at LoWu, until my compadre reminded us why the Army gave us shots before sending us overseas.

I also remember the warehousing businesses in Hong Kong. I learned that temporary storage for raw materials is a big business. Because if raw material gets unused on the mainland for six months you get taxed for “dumping”. So it was cheaper to send it to Hong Kong for temporary storage, then later send it back to the mainland to avoid the “tax”.

3 Likes

Nice find. Thanks for sharing!

There was this mentioned in the Purism & Linux 5.3 post.

Mainlining the DCSS driver will also be a huge effort… but NXP wants to look at it, so hopefully we will get both display port and HDMI support in mainline Linux in a not too distant future.

4 Likes

For those not clicking on the blog post, DCSS is “Display Controller Subsystem”.

3 Likes

Reading NXP’s messages about implementing the DCSS drivers for the i.MX8 shows why it is important to select chips from companies that are committed to supporting mainline Linux.

As much as I would like to have the performance of a Snapdragon, it is nice to have a CPU where the manufacturer is submitting code to the Linux kernel and promises to sell the CPU for 10 years.

Now that the Lima drivers are in Mesa, however, Purism might decide to switch to a Rockchip SoC which uses a Mali GPU. The next mobile SoC from Rockchip will have really good performance and be designed for energy-efficient mobile devices (principally tablets). I wonder if Purism will switch to Rockchip or whether it has already invested so much in the i.MX8 platform, that it will stick with NXP.

4 Likes

remember SkyNet is Genisys

Genisys is a new and refurb hardware reseller in Seattle.

1 Like

Just to make this clear, we (Purism) do not have and never had a business relationship with this “Neway” company. We looking into option now to stop them from claiming having worked for us.

Cheers
nicole

15 Likes

Its China. They can do anything they want.

@nicole.faerber,
Thanks for clarifying this, and sorry about unwittingly posting misinformation. I’ll edit my original post to reflect this.

2 Likes

I wonder why a Chinese ODM would claim work that they didn’t do. This has to hurt their reputation once it becomes public knowledge. Did Neway think that Purism would never notice?

I guess they didn’t count on all the crazy Librem 5 enthusiasts like me who would post links to their web site and draw Purism’s attention. Now I’m curious how Neway got the images and info that they posted.

6 Likes

It may well be that they have prepared business offer (which has never materialized) including design drafts beforehand and now to gain at least something from the spent effort decided to convert it into marketing.

4 Likes

Does the title of the topic need to change too?

Is this “evolution” or “fantasy” or … ? :hushed:

1 Like

How bout “(malicious) attribution”?
It rhymes :grinning:

2 Likes

Maybe “illusion” or “delusion”. Not quite rhyming but …

1 Like

Maybe they need to go back to their roots for phone dialing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZePwin92cI

The Neway promotional video is even better:
https://www.neway.mobi/company-profiles/
All those people working like ants on the assembly line while triumphant music plays in the background reminds me of some dystopian sci-fi movie.

4 Likes

I bet you thought of the “Shift Change” scene from Metropolis.

Dunno if he did, but I did.

Great film.

1 Like