External monitor 1080p or 4K?

Ok I’ll assume the HDMI output isn’t optimized for 4K vs 1080p.

When I look closely at a font, one edge of it looks slightly red and the other edge looks slightly green.

I found the “Tweaks” menu in Gnome but the Font Hinting and Antialiasing settings there don’t seem to have any effect.

You’re saying go 4K? Will I run into slight distortion problems with the native display at 1080p and the external 24" monitor at 4K?

What I’m saying is that the 14 inch 1080p L14 display probably has different pixel size compared to your 1080p monitor. Unless its also 14 inch monitor it probably has way larger pixels.
For example:
The L14 1080p display has PPI of around 160,
24 inch 1080p monitor has a PPI of around 90. While looking at the 14 inch monitor at 55cm away looks good you would have to look the 24 inch monitor from 95cm away for comparable image quality

4K monitor at the size of 27 inches has almost the same PPI as 1080p at 14 inches.

2 Likes

It sounds like I need to make a tradeoff between resolution-matching the displays and getting the pixel density high enough on my 24" monitor for my viewing distance. What would you do? 4K 24" monitor instead of 1080p 24" monitor?

This has nothing to do with what purirocks is asking.

If you are bothered by the lack of sharpness in text and want to keep the 24 inch size I would go with a middle ground 1440p 24inch monitor rather than 4K monitor, as that has a PPI of 120 and can be viewed from 70cm without making out the individual pixels.

Something like Dell 24" P2423D or P2421D

Resolution matching should only be done if you are working with same sized monitors/displays

Distortion problems no, but scaling issues with linux are very likely. Some programs still dont handle scaling properly and those will look way smaller on the 4K monitor. Thats why I would suggest 1440p if you are not happy with the 1080p 24 inch monitor as the scaling “problem” isnt that major on 1440p.

1 Like

Ah ok. So it’s a tradeoff between sufficient pixel density and potential scaling problems. You’re saying 1440p is a good middle ground.

I thought that black (or average black) on white is related to contrast.

And a few other things. Anyway and if here linked 1200 px monitor affordable (should be while 8-bit colour): https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/asus-proart-pa248cnv-with-24-1610-aspect-ratio-and-calman-verified-colours, take it and let me know if reading text still disturbs you.

That Asus monitor is 16:10 which at full screen I think would be distorted coming from the 16:9 laptop. I’m using the ViewSonic VP2458 monitor which I don’t think is so different from the Asus ProArt except it’s 16:9.

Still fiddling with the Tweaks settings in Gnome and having the best luck with this:

Hinting: None
Antialiasing: Standard (grayscale)

EDIT: Leaning toward “Hinting: Slight” now which is the default so I must not like this default:

Antialiasing: Subpixel (for LCD screens)

What counts is that you have appropriate/basic link (as based on experts testings) where is relatively easy to find up-to-date monitor, in accordance with your own preference(s). Here is about: https://tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/viewsonic-xg2431.

And yes, I do agree that 1440 px is indeed great number:

EDIT: Test ViewSonic VP2458, although in German (but still my very favorite site): https://www.prad.de/testberichte/test-viewsonic-vp2458-guenstiger-monitor-ueberrascht-bei-bildbearbeitung/.

On 1080 px display (as 150% scaling is relatively new feature) I’m using Settings Displays/150% (720+50%=1080) and Tweaks Fonts/Scaling Factor: 1.20 (please start testing with 1.10 first).

How do they like the Viewsonic VP2458?

Any comparisons between the Viewsonic VP series and Asus ProArt?

1 Like

Last page, fifth one, writes: “The ViewSonic VG2755-2K, which is also very affordable, might be an alternative, but it cannot keep up with the VP2458 in terms of picture quality and color space coverage.” Linked review is quite positive toward VP2458 (translated with deepl.com) and as reviewer works for PRAD since 2013, I do not recall he reviewed bad monitor (it is mostly about advertising quality ones I think, not spending their time on bad ones).

Nowadays all Asus ProArt monitors are reference series (especially 32 inch are very expensive ones) so it was more about telling you that those are produced in very best IPS technique. You would need to look exactly at their Specifications (related/particular model .pdf file) to decide which one suits your overall needs (supported refresh rates etc.). And not all of them are native 10-bit monitors (should quite well justify their price), search for those if you are looking for premium product, for example here you will find LM240WU5-SLA1 10-bit display, under 24 inch table (another, even more important link). GB-r-LED is very fine technique as well (2K LM250WQ2 under Settings Displays/200%).

1 Like

What linux drivers and apps support 10-bit video? (Whenever I check, I can’t find any. It’s been a while since I checked and may not know how to look.)

1 Like

Linux is broad term (and I’m not very familiar with it either), yet check this link for example (written in German lenguage): “Audio and video processing is handled by the “Amlogic Video Engine” via the hardware-based audio and video decoder, which is part of the Cortex-A53 processor. The supported video codecs include H.265 (UHD-4K at 60 FPS as well as 10 bit) and VP9 (also UHD-4K at 60 FPS).

For usually used driving (in charge) hardware (another environment) that you are actually referring to, related looks like this: https://linuxreviews.org/HOWTO_enable_10-bit_color_on_Linux (either think twice before you buy or just buy). Sorry that I cannot help much (or according to my wife: “cannot change anything”). On the other side I still have (and use from time to time in full speed) DM7080 HD supporting/projecting 1280x720p 50Hz and 1920x1080i 50Hz on 10-bit monitor and therefore can differentiate Linux drivers you are talking about (what those can or cannot project, by reminding again that all is based on hardware in use).

EDIT: Quite useful X11 approach: https://soi.pw/posts/10-bit-color-on-ubuntu-20.04-with-amdgpu-driver/.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.

I was trying to find out if it is possible at all, and only then what would be required.

It looks like none of my laptops or monitors at home are capable. One monitor at work is, but I can not tell whether or not the driver can do 10-bit (debian bullsey nouveau).

1 Like