Firefox-esr on the Librem 5

But is it the same or similar version of FF as on the Librem 5? PureOS upstreams the firefox-esr package from Debian stable, and it tends to be a number of versions behind the latest-and-greatest version you might be using on Windows.

First with chromium, then with FF

I would install the Mobile View Switcher in FF, enable it, and then see what page it presents, although it looks like the window is sized off of the screen there too, as though the firefox-esr-mobile-config package isn’t actually installed.

I had tried that before too but, for the sake of this conversation I just did again. Same result.

In the screenshot, the plugin is installed, but currently disabled. Touch that mobile view switcher icon and it will turn from grey to orange/yellow.

Hmm I’m out of ideas then. You can at least tell the Mobile View Switcher is working because you see that “open in the chase mobile app” prompt at the top, but it’s clear something with this website and this version of Firefox is causing the web app to hide the login part.

On my laptop with Debian and FF the username/password field can take several seconds to load. As the phone is less powerful, have you tried waiting a minute or three to see if it eventually loads? Also I vaguely recall one of the privacy settings breaking this (though it may have been a plug in as well, it’s been a while since I had the prompt not load at all).

Yup. Like I said, it’s gotta be some underlying library version or something specific to JavaScript and / or CSS that works on the latest FF version on my laptop but is missing on our PureOS or FF-ESR package.

I appreciate your attention though Mr. Rankin. I wish the epiphany browser were more stable so I didn’t need FireFox or another but, here we are.

1 Like

I have allowed for that in multiple attempts, yes.

Please, just curious to know: why I had to reboot L5 after update Firefox-esr? Being an app not system file it shouldn’t requests reboot, right?

Punch in this as user agent in the “mobile user agent switcher” addon setting:

Mozilla/5.0 (Android 4.4; Mobile; rv:41.0) Gecko/41.0 Firefox/41.0

Via: Firefox user agent string reference - HTTP | MDN

With this user agent even 9gag was fixed (mostly, now their scroll mechanism jumps around)

Interesting mine wasn’t installed either August 2023 :slight_smile:, I kinda miss Kyle have to say.

3 Likes