First picture of the phone?

I would say it is the later, as it is to perfect on the shadows and no reflections at all in the display and lenses.

7 Likes

even if it’s just a render it would mean to mean that they have a lot more finalized then we know.

What’s interesting is if you look at the top right corner, you can see buttons but the final image is smooth. I have complete support and faith in the Librem 5 and in Purism and this is definitely not a dig, but it seemed odd to me. Not sure why that is. Maybe it’s flush with the device and grooved in or something? Hopefully we get more updates in the coming days and actually see a phone being used in hand.

It still looks really good either way and I can’t wait until it ships.

1 Like

I really would hope they are flush or near flush otherwise the will be getting flipped in your pocket all the time.

2 Likes

Are you sure it is a first picture of the pone? It could also be something a little different…

Because I’m obsessed with the Librem 5, I took a screen shot of the video and then used GIMP to count the pixels in the image. When I measured the 17x17 mm i.MX 8M Quad SoC (the pinkest square in the middle), I found a 5.6 inch screen and a case that is 70x142 mm. If the case is 14mm thick (as previously reported), then this is going to be a big phone.

However, I might be measuring the SoC wrong, since I’m trying to measure the chip package, not the box around it in the diagram. If we assume that the Librem 5 will have a 5.7 inch screen, then I get a slightly bigger case at 72x145 mm.

The picture confirms a few things for us. We will have a 3.5 mm audio jack in the upper right corner. There is an 8mm chin at the top above the screen where I see a speaker and 4 circles. I imagine that they are the selfie camera lens, a proximity sensor and an ambient light sensor. Maybe the fourth circle is a LED flash for the camera, a LED indicator light, or maybe just a microphone hole. The bottom of the phone is obscured, but there doesn’t seem to be a second speaker on the front of the phone. Maybe we will get a second bottom-firing speaker that we can’t see in the image, or maybe we only get one speaker.

The diagram shows three somethings on the upper right hand side of the case. I would expect those to be the Power, Volume Up and Volume Down buttons on a normal phone, but their shape looks like the three hardware kill switches. They are equidistant, whereas you would expect the Power button to be separated from the Volumn Up and Down buttons, so they are most likely the kill switches.

So where will the Power, Volume Up and Volume Down buttons go? On the lower part of the phone, where it is less convenient to reach them? Are you going to use the kill switches more than Volume Up and Down?

I guess that some people will be constantly flipping the switches on and off, but I don’t expect that I will use them that often, and I would rather have the Volume buttons in that convenient location. The security freaks, however, should be very happy with this design. :grinning:

11 Likes

Maybe they’re multi purpose and you have to double tap or press them at the same time? Or hold them down? Either way, thanks for going in depth on that picture! I do appreciate the headphone jack at the top.

I think if you are Purism, and you are going to tease like this, then the image you show, rendered as it may be, is going to be as close to the final version as possible. What this means is that we are looking at the front of the phone.

I for one appreciate the effort in keeping the bezels small at the top and bottom.

Really looking forward to getting this phone and being done with Android.

8 Likes

If I remember correctly, there are two boards. The one they are showing might be the one that has the kill switches and volume control is on the base board. Just a guess.

The Librem 5 Dev Kit has two boards, because Purism used an EmCraft System on a Module board with the NXP i.MX 8M Quad, but the final product should only have one circuit board.

3 Likes

not counting the m.2 card right? because they should still be going with the removable m.2 card for connectivity.

Thanks,
Mike

Purism never guaranteed the M.2 cellular modem as a feature of the phone, but it seems very likely that it will be in the final product for a couple reasons:

1. It allows Purism to only make one model for the entire world,
  2. Todd Weaver talked about Purism phone having a slot to insert a cellular modem in his 2016 TWIT interview, so this has been planned for a long time.
  3. It supports Purism’s advertising that the Librem 5 isn’t built for planned obsolescence,
  4. As far as I know, there isn’t a cellular baseband that can run on free software drivers (over USB) that supports all LTE bands, so Purism needs to give users the option to replace the Gemalto PLS8 modem with another one in order to use the phone anywhere in the world (even if other modems will require binary blobs).
1 Like

Of course. It’s in the specs.

5 Likes

That looks awesome! I do hope it ends up looking something like that.

I’ve just watched all the daily videos and I’ve got to say, they are great advertising. They target my interest perfectly. :wink: As does this latest design.

What is the gap below the board? If it is space for the battery, that could possibly mean a thinner phone, and even better, easier battery removal. Whatever the case, can’t wait to see the phone in person!

3 Likes

Hope the hardware kill switches are thight and recessed, secure against accidental in-pocket switching.
Maybe similar to the “alert slider” of oneplus.

It doesn’t look like they will be recessed in the board view and case view, but they probably are stiff and won’t move just from being slid in and out of tight pockets.

1 Like

I’d like to get some spare switches and headphone socket for the inevitable eventual failure, hopefully Purism will stock these or identify the OEM.

4 Likes

I don’t know – they look fairly recessed to me, but perhaps not entirely flush. It depends how thick the case is and how much of a gap there will be between the PCB and the case.

I dunno bout ya’ll , but I kinda dig a fatter phone . I really didnt like the paper thin devices theyre pumping out now. Theyre kinda difficult to hold . As long as the L5 fits in me pocket without causing restriction of movement fat phone is fine .

2 Likes

could also double up as a blunt weapon … crime rate is surely going to go up “because” of it :wink:

3 Likes