Following up on development progress

Currently for me excessive heat (or slow charging) is biggest issue.
Is there was to follow current progress related to exact issues? If yes where and how?

1 Like

The 5.19 kernel is going to include a change that should reduce the heat produced by the SoC a bit.

I’m not aware of any outstanding issues about slow charging.

9 Likes

I see current kernel is 5.18.1.
Does 5.19 mean just next kernel update or not so fast?
slow charging is not real issue if heat is controlled.

It is likely that the next kernel update is going to be 5.19 based, but I can’t guarantee that :wink:

1 Like

Here is link to the post that provides important overview (describes basis of inserted Li-ion battery behavior): Librem 5 various observations. Thanks a lot @gsfs!

Therefore we need to change our behavior, I think (without expecting that new/another Linux Kernel can do unrelated miracles, as already using the very great one, the one available as of today and currently taking great care …). Therefore I’d recommend to start to charge your Librem 5 battery when its capacity between 40%−50% (and not below). In addition, we do have another very kind and important set of recommendations (post that is over three years old) here:

Correlated thread from @amarok is here: Script to Play a Battery Charge Notification or Warning. Also (as to the content related and not to the my tone of writing), please disagree with my direction of thinking (if you have better approach, but do not blame your Librem 5 that it is not coping well with the heat when its battery already discharged to 0% and needs quick recovery dose of high current): It's a burning phone.

What are the commands for doing that?

IMHO (as cannot provide countable answer, yet not ignoring your question either), it is still (as rule that applies when Li-ion batteries used) related to at which battery percentage to connect/disconnect USB-PD cable from the Librem 5 power supply (same thing applies in general to all other Li-ion battery cells = “do not leave them alone, especially not overnight:grinning:, just made this sentence but with some good ground, as should be available elsewhere on “why”, even when this sentence applies to your brand new car or bike, etc.). Therefore script that @amarok wrote might be implemented as helpful reminder (to us that need to provide relevant 5V electrical charge on time, as with starting charging at 10% will slightly increase inserted battery temperature, but not dramatically, like for example extensive usage of Wi-Fi during charging process). Just my two cents. Another “cent” would be that I do not see 100% of battery capacity (controlled by the related/integrated chip within Librem 5) as enemy, especially when it is connected to some docking station or power bank, not at all, but that’s just me (and might be seen as another question that might be answered here).

Also and up to my “knowledge”, if Apple 2.4A protocol (coding) negotiated as permanent one, it will increase here related charging temperature. Therefore and even if it looks like contradictory at the first sight/moment, it is not contradictory: “No Apple 2.4A, QC2.0, QC3.0, FCP, or SCP support.” In addition I never noticed that Samsung 2.0A protocol being disturbing one, when present within some power supply (with needed BC1.2/DCP), during charging of the Librem 5 (while this counts, at least for myself).

I thought that there would be a command that you could enter in the terminal to tell Librem 5 how to behave. Reminder makes no sense because I want to continue using the Librem 5 while pluged in even after it has reached 90% with the idea of avoiding full charging when at home if the full charging reduces the battery life.

2 Likes

You should understand that I’m no expert, but still think that Purism found very reliable solution (when/with red LED finally off = inserted Librem 5 battery is not charged any more, up to the my non-reliable measurements, please proof this by yourself, someone else kindly invited as well):

Measured voltage below 3.40V is the real enemy to the Librem 5 battery, or any other Li-ion battery that is referred/sold as 3.6V or 3.7V (not the measured one at 4.20V or as 100% shown on Librem 5 display/icon), which means that Librem 5 battery: “do not like to be discharged low”. Thank you very much @nicole.faerber (for this any many other contributions to the Linux community)!

EDIT: For example take a look at this 0.09A number. Is this threatening amperage, as photo shows with the Librem 5 off (even when applied for the prolonged period of time, therefore I brought up overnight charging thoughts actually), is 0.09A really damaging current (registered on very first generation of Evergreens, as perhaps even lower on newer versions) toward this particular Linux smartphone prolonged battery life expectancy from our side?

No, I don’t plan external charger.

1. I don’t own a second battery.
  2. As Dos already mentioned in the forum, one could use the Librem 5 as a charger.

I also don’t want unnecessary effort. Just want to know if there are good practices that don’t cause too much additional effort for the user while do good to the device.

If I understand correctly, the L5 battery if not being overcharged anyways as it goes to 4,2 V and not to the maximum of 4,35 V so it seems that if it goes to 100% while used in convergence mode, this should not be that critical.

It would be useful to know if it makes sense to remove the battery when at home in convergence mode and then what would be the best way to power off the device.

At the moment I always unplug the Librem 5 and type poweroff from the terminal to shut down. Because I remember that I think Dos wrote that if you power off while plugged, the Librem 5 might discharge a faster when powered off.

So it would be interesting to know if one should for example first return the battery and then power off. Or if it does not matter at all. Such small best practice details.

2 Likes

I would definitively/rather first return the taken out (when and if taken out) battery, disconnect Librem 5 from the docking station and power it off afterwards. As well, next step would be to disconnect docking station from the connected power supply (not the other way around, if not intended to use Librem 5 in discharging direction). Actually nothing new to the procedure you already implementing:

1 Like