Hardware Switches for GPS, Speakers, and Gyro

Can’t help it, I’m an old cold-warrior.

that’s not bad. in this day and age it’s worse if you’ve become a hot-warrior :wink:

1 Like

I was just thinking about a new bumper sticker this afternoon.

I support a strong military…
But Armageddon is not the time to enlist

at cyber command … otherwise it won’t do :joy:

Because in traditional, standard usage, “millennial” is an adjective, not a noun. It is only since 1991 [citation needed] that it has had usage as a noun, the way you used it.

So I suppose the answer is that, whatever browser you are using, it is using a dictionary that is out of date relative to contemporary usage. If you are using the latest version of the software … Possibly your environment allows you to add words to a custom dictionary, which would work around the problem. Otherwise you should track down what dictionary package that is and file a bug report. (Obviously I am assuming that you are using open source.)

Now we return you to regular programming …

As I suggested above.

However as is observed above (by @privacy238437 ) any additional software triggers are not as good as the underlying hardware consequences - and that includes user-programmable switches with no hardware consequences.

If your operating system has been compromised, the hardware switches will still unavoidably work but any additional triggers might not work, or might give the impression of working but not actually (fully) work.

I expect that in the not too distant future, Purism will offer trusted boot options on the Librem 5, so that “your operating system has been compromised” is at least something that would be detected at boot - in the same or similar way that it works on the Librem laptops.

2 Likes

Oh, I didn’t suspect the browser. I thought it was the forum (since it was the forum’s reply box).

Fair question but … that would be horrible privacy. Until you click Reply to submit your text, it should not go anywhere near the web server. That applies to most text entry fields. (It would also be relatively slow to implement spell check on the server side.)

That said, there are web sites that do pre-submit your content. Those are bad web sites. Don’t be like those web sites. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fair cop. I’m seeing that now that you bring it to my attention. Ew.

Except, like so many useful features, it is both - useful and a privacy violation.

This should be client side (browser) functionality. It would work just as well.

Maybe you’re OK with it. I’m not - although I understand that it is Discourse functionality and Purism may not have control over it.

Is there any way for an individual user to disable or control this functionality? e.g. frequency of draft upload?

1 Like

Now that I know how the browser is working, it doesn’t bother me. Actually the thought of the browser invoking the dictionary is kind of a relief. Because then it occurred to me the thought of all the overhead the forum would be using to invoke such a dictionary.

1 Like

as i’m writing this in FF-ESR-purebrowser under PureOS on my Librem-Mini i can R-Click my mouse and deselect the check-box ‘Check Spelling’ (before i even type something) … i’m not a fan of drafts either …

it should be possible to disable completely or enable a ridiculously high minute count between updates to the server. privacy violation here …

1 Like

I think you’ve illustrated my point with that typo. :rofl:

Sorry, I know for a fact that it is impossible to avoid it 100%. I’ve messed up quite a few times over the years. (e.g. paste into wrong window/tab or e.g. fail to cut when doing cut-and-paste and hence paste an earlier piece of text, which text may have no connection at all with the forum)

On the other hand, I don’t typically stuff up in ways that would benefit from the “drafts” functionality.

Who knows what would happen if you select the wrong image for an upload? (I didn’t look into the technical details of how that works and whether it would be covered by some of the same misgivings.)

So then it comes down to … trust.

What does Purism (really perhaps Discourse) do with “drafts”? Are they handled appropriately while the post is being prepared? What happens to them once the post is submitted? What happens to them if the post is abandoned?

Other considerations … which I don’t think would apply in the Purism forum but could apply in other fora if this kind of functionality becomes ubiquitous …

• a person, not fully in control of his or her emotions, starts to post an absolute flame, then applies the 24 hour rule, and decides not to submit immediately (perhaps abandoning the post) - but in principle the flame has already been submitted
  • what happens if a person starts to type something defamatory and then decides not to submit? or submits something watered down? and it goes to court and Purism is subpœnad for the drafts?
  • what happens if a person starts to type something criminal (e.g. a threat that would be illegal to post via the internet, varying from country to country) and then decides not to submit? or submits something watered down? and it goes to court and the government comes aknocking on Purism’s door for the drafts?

When I have some time (IOW, not necessarily soon) I may look into blocking the POST of the drafts in the network - as long as the final result still gets POSTed.

I’m a big fan of spel cheque thow. :slight_smile:

Or at least a mod should split this off into a new topic as Site Feedback.

1 Like