How much can we customize the Librem5

Sorry, it should have been this URL. If that still doesn’t work then maybe I need to move it. Maybe try this link as well.

2 Likes

It works now! thanks. Sounds like a good location to start.

Shall I rename it, do you think? Maybe also change the purpose of it to being a “Community Wiki”?

I am thinking if we should have a “Developer’s Wiki” and a “Hacker’s Wiki” or just one community wiki. The former documenting how to make an app and the other documenting the internals of phosh, libhandy, etc… Or should we make a single huge wiki?

I’m assuming for now, L5 users are somewhat competent in Linux and programming. So, maybe we also need a wiki for ordinary users in the future?

1 Like

The user documentation will hopefully cover the users’ initial needs, but I think one wiki is better than two that need to be merged later.

I will create a new wiki because, while I can rename the one I linked to, I can’t change its URL.

2 Likes

It’s hard to draw a line between the two. And end users should rarely have a need.
For them, official docs should suffice.
And when not, have the wiki well structured.

1 Like

This is (my earlier mentioned) information architecture problem that should be addressed. I like the idea, that there is only one wiki (at least, it appears to be). BUT at the same time I would be very careful to lay down some rules on how info is grouped, presented and laid out, so that there is a consistent logic. With that, a good page should have the intro and user level stuff, then the additional info, the hacker info etc. the deeper it’s read. Good wiki also has well grouped hierarchical table of contents as well as well curated metadata/searchterms/tags/lables. If there are multiple wikis, you only create multiple sources to find info and upkeep.

1 Like

OK, how does this wiki look? Can you view it, at least?

Yes, there it is (unless something is hidden).
I would definitely put stuff here from user documentation - kind of a starting point as well for creating this.

OK. To start with, you need an account on source.puri.sm to be able to edit it.

I don’t remember how you request access to the project. Can you try to request access via that site? If that fails then we can always fall back to using a forum topic for that. (Maybe not this one, though.)

I can’t figure out how to request access.

I enabled the option that lets users request access. Can you try again, please? (Then say what you did so I can add it to the main page.) :smile:

A blue “Request Access” link appeared (next to “project ID:995 |”) under the project name / heading on the cover page, at the project tab. Clicking it sends a request, shows a blue banner acgnowledging request and turning the link text to “Withdraw Access Request”.
[Edit privilege received. Will return to this much later…]

You’re invited.
If anyone else wants to work on documenting things, please go to the Community Wiki and follow the steps under Editing this Wiki.

Sorry for taking this thread off-topic. Hopefully, the wiki will answer questions about customization. :wink:

3 Likes

I agree now… Having multiple wikis is a bad idea.

@david.boddie May you also add me to the wiki?

1 Like

WIKI-thread created, let’s move this there, so the original topic discussion may continue…

1 Like

There’s actually a repo already with sample apps! These are really cool @david.boddie !

1 Like

Thanks! They are documentation to some extent here: Examples (Librem 5 Developer Documentation)

I would like to get time to write more examples that use the hardware features of the phone a bit more. Some things are not quite integrated as well as they might be, and that makes documenting them a little difficult. :disappointed:

Now all I need is a phone.

I’ve never done any Linux programming, so if I am going to write any applications for the Librem 5, I am going to need some examples to hack from. “Hello World” would be a good start.

1 Like

It’ll have GTK available, so I’d start with some python GTK tutorials, or similar. Then see about adding the mobile-ui GTK bits so it looks decent on a tiny display. I’m assuming you’re not new to programming in general.

If you want to learn the ‘linux way’ of doing things, the art of unix programming is still decent. Basically, the more modular you can make things, the more likely they are to be broadly useful. Lots of linux applications are non-graphical, with a graphical layer added on top. This makes it easy to use directly, while also easy to use ‘headless’, and easy to automate.

Thinking about it, lots of the useful things to make for the librem 5 will just be graphical wrappers around existing non-gui applications, to adapt them to keyboardless touch input.

Edit:
Found the library to make GTK ‘mobile friendly’: libhandy

2 Likes