How to boot Debian installer from PureBoot?

Right… so I have now tried to install parrot OS via live install and after what seemed a successful install, now tries to load the qubes encryption screen then fails, it then loads the dracut emergency mode.

On the installation I selected that it install only the partition, very odd.

Perhaps I should install on the entire disk?

I don’t get it, I tried again with just the partition and still says qubes!

what does that mean, tried again with just the partition?

I have now exhausted every option on the installer and tried every possible scenario and it wouldn’t install.

I took the drastic action of erasing and wiping the entire drive, but now I have a situation where after the OS install it fails to boot.

After some research it might be because pureboot is looking for an installation on /boot but for the life of me I can’t get the OS installation to put it there…

Is there a way to get pureboot to find the installation? (I’m aware it’s a vague question, but I’m not aware of the right words to use)

I was going to add some pictures but I’m too new to the forum to add more than one.

I am at risk here of this not being applicable to this thread or forum, but this is connected to the boot location.

Pureboot I believe looks for /boot for the OS correct? I can’t seem to click next or configure Debian in any option for it to be installed there.

As a reminder I am using a live OS installer due to the current bios firmware having the vga bug.

Any and all advice welcome. Need to get this fixed by COP today.

You seem to have one huge partition, mounted as /boot. This is likely not what you want, as you need a small (max 1GB) partition for /boot, and a large one at / containing the rest.

In the Debian text-based installer, select ‘guided disk layout’ and ‘a single partition’ (something like that).

Are you oke with wiping the entire disk of this laptop?

In that case, I would suggest to download the Debian netinstall image and write it to a usb device (which will be wiped as well if you do that).

https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/amd64/iso-cd/debian-testing-amd64-netinst.iso

I only have experience with the text-based installer so that is what I recommend. Go with the defaults, select the option to have the disk layout be set for you. Do not select LVM or encryption for now, as this complicates your setup.

So unfortunately the pure boot bios won’t let me use anything but this live installer.

@ookhoi thanks for the advice, perhaps this is the missing puzzle and why it isn’t working.

I will try again in a moment, but I’m now concerned I’ve perhaps broken something as even getting pure OS to install via text just leaves me with this screen:

1 Like

So I got a little further I installed the OS! It was indeed the 1gig boot drive causing all of the issues…

However I’m not there yet as it’s still not booting, surely it shouldn’t be this hard to install the new operating system…

this error you are showing means /boot files are not singed correctly,
they are signed with different key, press any key on message automatic boot and go advanced and sign /boot with your key.
and make sure that key that is being used to sign /boot, matches public key embedded in your pureboot.

Sorry, @NineX if I am being slow… when you say “and go advanced and sign /boot with your key”, What exact option do you mean advanced?

So I go options, GPG Options? I see add GPG key to bios but not /boot?

Sorry :grimacing:

Main Menu
Options
Update checksums and sign all files in boot

After, when you select default boot, you will need to set the default boot entry / sign it with your Librem Key pin

1 Like

Surely it shouldn’t be this hard…

Here is the error I see now. I followed your instructions, but when I clicked default boot, it paused for a time and this came up :

Should I just wipe to factory and start again?

that’s what I would do, always the simplest option

For all that is holy…!

I conducted a OEM reset, refreshed the HOTP/TOTP.

I then attempted to update the checksums and got this (after not getting asked to enter a password):

why? did it prompt you to? they were updated as part of the OEM factory reset

Still didn’t boot…

if after doing an OEM factory reset the device still fails to boot, then almost certainly there is some issue with the partition setup/layout

1 Like

@MrChromebox as you suspected you were absolutely correct, it was a partition issue.

So whilst my work around is now working, it would be good to get the standard installer for Debian working in the future.

Thank you to everyone who helped me resolve this.