HOWTO make a quickdial button

This is awesome! It should be a standard function of the L5; maybe a “shortcut creator” could be integrated into the librem5-goodies package at some point…?

Edit: I mean “shortcut creator” for those functions that can’t be made with a web app or simply moved to the favorite apps section, of course. A good example: Shortcut to Trash.

This is a candidate for the community wiki.

2 Likes

If you are a beautiful spouse, use thathandsomeman.jpg instead. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Indeed, after using the exact same number format as in the address book, it shows the contact name while calling and in the calls history.

4 Likes

Related to this, maybe:

I have noticed that, once added the quick-dial button, there is a Spouse process running, using about 30 Mb of RAM. I didn’t expect that.

3 Likes

Not the first time I heard this, people complaining that their spouse is annoying them, constantly nagging and consuming resources. You might find there is no easy fix for it. :slight_smile:

9 Likes

err, that one certainly does not come from a quick-dial button which is nothing but a .desktop file, that is a shortcut to launch an application. My spouse is also running, but never in my L5. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

It does actually, the “Usage” app shows the name and icon of my quick-dial button. Cannot be anything else. I cannot even get rid of it (her?), If I kill the process it restart immediately.

Yeah, this is long known problem.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. That is interesting, I wonder why I am not seeing anything similar.

1 Like

I wonder, too. Once the .desktop file is removed, the process is gone.

Are you running amber or byzantium? Just exploring possible differences here…

amber … I’m not brave enough

Hey, you own a L5, you are brave by definition! :wink: (You might call me reckless for running byzantium) Ok, there we have a potential difference, although I could not think of a reason for that to make a difference…

4 Likes

‘reckless’ he says :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: … and here you guys were talking about spouses a few screens above :joy: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Somehow I can’t edit the first post anymore, by now you have to add the line

X-Purism-FormFactor=Workstation;Mobile;

to make it show up in phosh.

2 Likes

If I can slightly deviate from this thread. its about creating a button, but rather than dial, I want to run some VPN commons with ProtonVPN cli. The following is not executing for me.

[Desktop Entry]
Name=VPNoff
Exec=gnome-terminal – bash -c “/usr/bin/protonvpn-cli d”
Startupnotify=true
Terminal=false
Icon=/home/purism/.local/share/icons/vpnoff.png
Categories=Utilities;

Can anyone see what I’m doing wrong? I want to disconnect VPN when the button is clicked. But, that isn’t happening.

I don’t know if this matters, but I notice you’re missing the Type=Application line in what you wrote above.

Also StartupNotify=true, not Startupnotify=true… (Not sure if that matters either, but it’s worth a try.)

And probably:
Exec=gnome-terminal -x bash -c
not
Exec=gnome-terminal – bash -c

I should point out that I don’t know what I’m doing, really, just basing my tips on what worked for me when I created several apps, which in turn was based on copying instructions from more knowledgeable people on the internet.

thanks @amarok. I added the Type=Application and capitalization. But, it still wasn’t working.

For the -x vs. --, I read in the bash man page that -x is being deprecated. I tested the – with a basic command, and it did work. The .desktop seems to work if it is just returning standard output. But, when I need to actually execute a command it doesn’t seem to work?! I’ll keep testing.

Thanks for the links to the apps you created also! Your approach is the same as mine :slight_smile:

1 Like