I know sensitive: Is backdoor required?

Ah yes, thanks for the Faraday reminder. Not that I think I need one, but just in case.

Is this “workflow” (so to speak) or behavior, altered with the phone in airplane mode?

With Android phones, and maybe with Apple phones as well, it turns out to be not 100% effective, because as soon as you remove the cage and the phone connects to the Internet, it phones home to Master Google with all the data it collected while offline. Back in February @mladen shared a video about this. Data that won’t be blocked even with the cage include microphone and accelerometer data. This is why the Librem 5 is superior with all sensors disabled when you turn off all 3 kill switches.

6 Likes

This makes me wonder if there are any phones out there with a giant capacitor or their own little embedded battery separate from the main one to keep those things going even if the battery is taken out.

1 Like

That…is…extremely disturbing.

I’m assuming there were active Google accounts on those two phones, so I wonder what the results would show on an Android that doesn’t use a Google account, or on a de-Googled custom ROM.

The video didn’t explicitly say if the phones had active Google accounts, but the first words in the video are, “We know that Google is tracking us; we agree to it when we set up our phones.”

1 Like