I'm giving up on the Librem 5

Why are you here? Don’t you have anything better to do?

Correct, this is a strawman, I did not say anything about perfect security only more security as is implied by statements like

Edit: to clarify I disagree with this assertion on 2 fronts.

1. It is easier for someone to maliciously submit code to a floss project than a closed source project.

2. Just because the project is open source doesn’t mean there are actually more eyes looking for malicious code and with closed source projects there’s a financial incentive to find and remove malicious code.

It really depends on what is trying to be hidden from whom and isn’t just a binary situation.

The Sony Xperia line is interesting due to their “Open Devices” program ( https://developer.sony.com/develop/open-devices/ ). I don’t buy some of that story, but I think it’s a good first step by a HW manufacturer to advertise that feature. That is why the Sony Xperia is the preferred platform for SailfishOS (which, while not 100% FOSS, is certainly a reasonable Android alternative). I am not sure about the insides of the Sony Xperia --> isn’t it just as PRC-parted as the Pixels?

To be clear: I’m not complaining about your choice. I’m complaining about people (not you) telling others that it’s the only choice or presuming “Graphene OS fans” are missing something and/or don’t know what they are talking about (it’s presumptuous and rude).

2 Likes

Brilliant retort.

I guess every manufacturer uses Chinese parts to some degree.
Sony Xperia are made in Thailand or Japan (all Sony Xperia I have seen in Europe are declared as made in Thailand, maybe in other markets one could find Japaneese made).
I was also very curious about Sailfish OS several months ago. But later I learned that the russian state was a major stakeholder into the Sailfish OS project in the past. This does not necessarily mean that the project is compromised, but it brings some doubt into the equation and could be a factor for some people.

Interesting. I googled around and couldn’t find a clear statment. It does seem that most are made in Thailand … but it looks like it depends on the version. I saw one report that the Xperia 10 iv is made in China.

While looking around, I noted that the Pixel 7 is built by Foxconn in Vietnam and that Google shifted production from China (Pixel 6) specifically because of consumer concerns (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixel_7).

I knew that a Russian telecom added Sailfish phones to their platform and knew they were a major consumer. I had missed that they were a stakeholder. It is a bit dismaying to note they own 45% of Jolla.

Thanks.

1 Like

Sure you did. I bought one in 2006 replacing my American one … and still recall 31. September of 2020 as very sad day in Augsburg. It was very sad day indeed …

1 Like

This is a positive recent development.
(Vietnam is not really a democracy, but it is at least a diversification).

The OP is a hit and run, and meanwhile his topic has been massively hijacked. SNAFU.

1 Like

And the U.S. Navy makes port visits there now, and their flag officers get rides on our aircraft carriers.

1 Like

And the march toward increasing entropy continues.

1 Like

“Chaos” is probably more fitting here.

1 Like

Hi Privacy2,

you are right i do not know you and i think that you do not understand how the modern systems and apps working. And how it takes action on folks viewing and using that Devices and Systems.

You know that some Applications just follows proprietary closed source code, and transmit Data to Servers in real time they do not understand… cause its a black box. For me its not important, cause it did not cause an issue to myself. But id to do many others out there. The use of understanding and leak of information is a really big issue, and the yesterday big companies done it and the tomorrow one are doing it right know. We only build ground in trust again and if we have a start together here on linux applications.

Yes Purism is a for profit cooperation, but profit is not as bad like, what apple, microsoft, amazon, alibaba, wechat and bytedance do. For example.

We have to pull together again on some kind of interesting technology. Hope you will do with pinephone to, cause its better to have many alternatives then just only few. And others are really aggressive to collect information…

1 Like

Check out the Above Phone:

That’s paying a lot of money just for someone else to install a degoogled OS.

1 Like

You are right that you don’t know me.

You are wrong in regard to what I know about software+hardware+privacy.
I’m very well aware. I almost certainly have been aware about such things
long before you became aware and, at least at the software level, probably
know more about it than you do.

I disagree. They are bad in different ways and are not comparable. Purism’s search for profits has resulted in what is, IMO, a company that I should not and will not trust.

1 Like

Its interesting how they don’t know you but you know them.

4 Likes

Your own opinion is always be respectable. Stay for Purism.

1 Like

You might have noted that I said “almost certainly” and “probably”. Also, I’ve paid attention to what they’ve told me about themselves. Thus it was more about an expression of what I know about me vs. what they have told me about themselves:

For example: I'm giving up on the Librem 5

Also another example shows that their concerns started in 2003 and I happen to know my concerns and experience started much earlier than that (e.g. I started using Linux in 1994. My main OS before that was NeXTStep (mach/unix) on the NeXT and SunOS Unix on Sun. I was an early supporter of the EFF in that time frame. I started programming in the late 70’s, which was fairly early vs. most people) . Here’s where they say that their concerns started in 2003:

So I think I was well-justified in my statements. I know you were intending to be sarcastic and dismissive. Again.

1 Like

Ok, lets try a different approach: What do you think about monetization over a behavioural surplus on and over Systems from the Companies i mentioned above and on the opposite purism?