I'm Out (for now)

If I remember correctly:

• go to Settings → Developer tools (in the System section)
  • enable Developer mode
  • enter password for remote connection

You should now have terminal app available. Use devel-su to run commands as root. pkcon is package manager.

3 Likes

Correct, ssh and also scp are working flawlessly

2 Likes

That’s the biggest issue here, I think. I’d be willing to pay a reasonable monthly subscription for ongoing L5 software development, but ONLY if they were transparent on how it’s progressing.

4 Likes

With current situation, it seems like a better option. We are almost completely left in the dark on what are their plans.

1 Like

Sorry, I underestimated your problems as I use the Librem 5 only to take pictures. It became almost hot enough to be used as a frying pan when I used it for the very first time (it’s not a joke), I had to give up initially and now, I try to solve the problems one by one and I use a Pinephone daily in the meantime.

1 Like

I get the frustration with the Librem 5, but I can never go back to a proprietary OS like iOS or sailfish.

Every day, I use my Librem 5 and am glad for the freedom I have. For example, an app I use hasn’t had a release in a while. I just downloaded the source code and compiled the app directly on the Librem 5, and I had a completely up-to-date app. That kind of experience makes me happy to be a Librem 5 owner.

Everyone is clamoring over whether Purism will keep developing Librem 5 software. Why? Purism has done a lot, and the Librem 5 is in a basically usable state. People have been using GNU/Linux laptops for decades without relying on the manufacturer to support the OS. PureOS is Free Software. The work that Purism has already done is not going anywhere. Ideally, Purism will pick up development again. If not, volunteers will likely continue to improve the Librem 5 software.

Hopefully, PureOS continues to improve, but if not, it’s already better than proprietary OS’s.

I’m a current happy Librem 5 user, and I will continue to prefer the Librem 5 over proprietary OS-driven phones, even if PureOS never, ever gets another update.

9 Likes

Yes, HOPEFULLY will improve :frowning:

2 Likes

I think maybe you missed what I was trying to say.

2 Likes

No, I get it. I just like your feedback. This isn’t a dump on Purism post. I don’t necessarily agree or disagree with your feelings about the Librem 5. I just appreciate the thoughts.

4 Likes

And we should not forget the latest information given regarding the status of librem 5 software development; Purism are focusing on HW right now, which is what actually makes them money, and will be at full development speed soon. I will assume this is true until otherwise is proven, and I do not see any need for more information from Purism at this moment. There was a new SW update for the librem 5 today, so something is happening at least.

5 Likes

FWIW the i.MX 8M chip actually has 5 cores. There are the regular 4 cores that are used to run the operating system and applications etc. - and the extra core is only used to do the DDR training during boot, thereby providing some isolation for that function. Reportedly.

3 Likes

There are far more than 5 processors. There are multiple cores in the GPU. There are processors for USB microcontrollers (of which there are two), processors for the DRAM controllers, … and so on. There are processors/cores scattered all over the place. The USB microcontrollers have proprietary firmware and the USB3 controller interacts directly with memory. Ditto for the DRAM controllers.

The so-called “extra core” that you are referring to is an M4 core and does more than just implement the DDR training with its blob. It doesn’t really isolate anything and it does more than just the DDR training – it implements interrupt handling, transitions between sleep/energy management modes, etc. It can interact with virtually all the controllers. The only real goal for using the M4 core rather than the CPU is that Purism thought they might, through a technicality, meet the RYF requirements. Who is to say whether it does, but what can be said is that it doesn’t actually accomplish any isolation goals that the were meant to be preserved by that RYF exception.

3 Likes

That may or may not happen in foreseeable future. They don’t really have a track record of being punctual. I ordered my phone while it was still crowdfunded, so I should know.

5 Likes

I think that it would be reasonable to expect Purism to upstream all of the necessary patches, so the phone can work properly with upstream kernel, NetworkManager, and whatever else.

I think nobody is arguing that.

It is in a basic usable state, but is still unreliable. I know since I daliy driven it for about a year. What frustrates me is that it could be better than this.

7 Likes

Not to add to the comparison with SFOS but I found modem connection on a variety of devices I was using in the past 5YRs or so ago to be pretty unreliable, and openvpn connections over them to not work well reliably. Ofono is bad in my opinion. On the L5 with PureOS it is very solid :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am in the middle of trying out every provider that might work with either Sailfish OS or the Librem 5. My use case is slightly odd, though because I live in the country and in a cellular dead zone at my house. That is my problem and not necessary a Linux problem (although the cellular coverage is much better for my family on non-linux devices). Generally, my cell coverage with Sailfish and Librem 5 on Mint Mobile has been generally the same.

3 Likes

To purism’s defense I have to say that they have either directly upstreamed what was acceptable to upstream, have helped get their packages into Debian proper, and made it very easy for other OSes to use their packages over eg a mainline kernel.

It seems that PureOS dev and maintenance has slowed down to a trickle which is disappointing, agreed. But waiting for crimson does not make sense, IMO. Crimson is Debian bookworm and Mobian provides Debian Trixie already. pmOS has the latest and greatest too, and remains very committed to support the L5. Phosh upstream development seems to continue at a rapid pace, despite (apparently?) not being paid for by Purism any longer. So, the software side of things is not as bleak as we make it out to be.

The GNOME ecosystem seems interested in mobile and got funding, so we are not that much dependent in Purism any longer (but for driver and kernel development, I guess).

Will it ever beat the duopoly featurewise? Nahh, there is just too much money in there.

PureOS made more sense when lots of downstream patches were needed to make things work, but the number of packages that need adapting to mobile has decreased a lot in the last 3 years or so.

9 Likes

I had the feeling that there are some kernel patches left out. If I’m not mistaken, hotspot code for NetworkManager hasn’t been upstreamed. User space software is less of an issue here.

Agreed.

I have a feeling that most of us here don’t really care about feature parity with them.

1 Like

Nope, we, the mobian project, take their patches and apply them directly, there is no secret sauce missing.

4 Likes

But in Mobian the stability in receiving calls in suspend mode is more worse than in PureOS

Also the quality of sound is much more worse than in PureOS

in Mobian about 30-40% of all incoming calls do not be received (signalled) and for some of them I want to pick up are crashing the modem.

Can somebody on Mobian look what a “special handling” PureOS has done for this issue?

4 Likes