I'm struggling to find a good music player for the Librem 5

I haven’t tried recently but never had any problems with Lollypop and it has a gorgeous UI. However music playback on the Librem 5 in general is pretty janky and will stop randomly, especially if you have the phone set to auto-suspend. I wouldn’t recommend anything other than Lollypop for music on any Linux distro - nothing else compares.

Regarding the format issue, try mp3 in lieu of flac if size is a concern. It’s much more widely supported than m4a, and smaller than flac. You’re not gaining any quality from m4a to flac so it’ll just be a waste of space from that perspective.

2 Likes

I have a 245GB music library on my uSD card and the only smartphone music player that I have been able to successfully use to buffer and play it is cmus.

1 Like

I’m surprised no one mentioned the quality and speed of microSD cards vary greatly from one brand and model to the next.

For the large capacities anything slower than Class 10, U3, V30 tends to be junk. From the PinePhone forums I have read the Samsung Pro Endurance and Evo Plus lines both have decent application performance.

4 Likes

Yes! And I pray… no Qt!

2 Likes

Hi @aaronrolls
I use Silverjuke as player on the L5.
At the moment my library is over 600 GB in size. All stored on a 1TB memcard.
I had problems getting it working without stuttering, but thanks to this community, that is no longer the case.
If you have some time I suggest reading this thread: Issue with playing music from Micro SD (Solved)
My files are stored in .wav format.
I have adjusted the skin to have it fit on the screen of the L5.

1 Like

Better keep those old records :shushing_face: so you have someting to fall back to.

1 Like

On my desktop, I use mpv for playing music. But I tried on my Librem 5, I think the problem was that suspend kicks in, which doesn’t happen with the GUI app I’ve tried (Lollypop, Cozy). And then you have to remember to disable suspend every time you play music, which gets old :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, I can’t figure out how Lollypop is supposed to work, even after using it for a year and half :person_shrugging:

2 Likes