Information policy

Because it conflicts with you hopes? Their recent communications are conflicting with all our hopes.

I agree with your thought

I really hope that Purism does NOT leave the real work and start informing on every step of the project. I do not need any more information - I want the work to be done and I know personally how much time information takes. And everything is from the same small amount of time they have. Information is NOT for free - it takes time to produce. And we have limited time in the project (not that I contribute much more than money).

In fact I am angry with all those complainers because they want to waste my money on useless “information” instead of getting the work done.

4 Likes

deedend, what is your analysis?

I couldn’t agree more! One can ask for what they want, however when passive aggressive tactics like public complaining are used then hostility is declared. I don’t think anyone here wants to be hostile on purpose :slight_smile:

1 Like

I believe people start realising that the “shipping” announcement wasn’t actually true. No one in this forum, even people that ordered the phone on day 1, received the email with the choice of modem and plug. That’s a bit weird.
I would love to be wrong, but I start thinking that the shipment news would be a massive boomerang for Purism if wasn’t true.
And the deafening silence of these days from the company, seems to confirm my fears.

3 Likes

“I am a L5 customer. Not a backer” … ?

Backing L5 is an investment adventure
for a worthy cause

If you insist on whining
You are most welcome to get your money back
and buy yourself a toy or some candy

3 Likes

I would agree with you if I did not see an answer later in other threads (technical matters, most important time).

Well, this IS an investment adventure. I put my money in the project two years ago and had no idea if there ever was to be a phone or not. So I am a backer - not a customer. It is premature to talk about customer because there is no product yet on the market (but will be soon). All efforts of the development crew must be put on the development and discussions and speculations can be between us non-doers who can afford to waste time on talk (writing). While I can understand people yearning for information it is no good idea to request lots of it from a small group as if it were a large company with hundreds of people just marketing and informing.

Development of a completely new type of phone is by definition a project with no secure timetable.

2 Likes

I dont care when they send mine or how much they communicate with me about shipping.

All I care about is that they do send it to me sometime in the future and that it works when I receive it.

Take your sweet time Purism. I can’t wait to receive my Librem 5 but am not in any kind of a rush.

6 Likes

Someone I know who works with communication once explained to me that one very common mistake in communication is what she called “inside-out” communication, that you as a company/organization design your message in a way that makes sense to you, internally, without paying enough attention to how the message will be interpreted by the people receiving it. I think Purism’s press release about “shipping” is an example of that.

Probably, the information in the press release about shipping was correct and appropriate from Purism’s internal perspective. The product is perhaps “shipping” using the company’s internal definition of that word, maybe meaning that some devices have been sent/given to someone who ordered it. Some of the people ordering are surely more or less internal Purism people, like Purism SPC’s chairperson who did that nice “Librem 5 - first run walk through” video. Internally, Purism may consider that as “shipping” since he is someone who preordered and now a phone has been delivered to him.

However, most people reading the press release, and news articles citing the press release, will think that “shipping” means that phones are being put in boxes and sent off to customers who are not Purism employees. Whoever was preparing the press release text should have thought about “how will this be interpreted by most people reading it?” and then would probably have come to the conclusion that it would be misleading.

I think there is also a saying that “all communication takes place on the recipient’s terms” or something along those lines, that seems fitting here.

Please note that my point here is not to complain about delays, or to complain about lack of communication. I’m just saying that I think the press release about “shipping” was misleading (and that could have been avoided if Purism had thought about how it would be interpreted, which is something you should always think about when communicating).

4 Likes

It is difficult to find people who are good at developing hardware and software while at the same time being very good at communication and information. In fact it seems to be exclusive features - and I am speaking of myself as an engineer. I have no time for explaining to outsiders when I am concentrated on technical problems. In fact I get terribly testy about “stupid” questions (although I know they can be well founded). So you need different people who are good at explaining and informing. However, I really hope that the people of Purism are 100 % engineers in order for me to get my phone as soon as possible and of good quality.
Also there are people at this forum who are good at explaining the technical details of L5. Many thanks to them !

7 Likes

What happened to Brian Lunduke? Wasn’t he hired to keep the communication channel going on (director of Marketing at Purism)? Maybe I’ve missed something

He (Brian Lunduke) signed up for an account on this form about 9 hours ago, made this post with some updates about 8 hours ago, then made this post responding to some follow-up questions about 5 hours ago.

1 Like

Thanks mate, I missed that.
But until someone here in the forum (there are guys that ordered on day one) says that has received his email, it doesn’t add anything to the situation.

1 Like

until someone here in the forum says that has received his phone

Fixed that for you. I know an email is a step along the way, but if all you want is an email, I can send you an email. :slight_smile:

I’m a little confused about the timing of the email relative to shipment though. Since the email determines the modem, and someone has to install the modem in the phone, and pack the box with the right power supply plug - the email has to be sent some time before shipment or, conversely, there is a delay after the email and before shipment.

I would guess that this aspect of fulfillment is not very mature at this stage.

Since I’m just ruminating, I wonder how many people will never get their phone either because

a) they backed the project and then lost touch with the project and forgot about it (would anyone burn US$600 like that? I don’t know), or

b) they backed the project and then all contact details were invalidated by the passage of time and Purism can’t contact them.

3 Likes

information policy or icoc - if 1k spoons “decide” to suddenly fly in the corner (AT THE SAME TIME) then we might have a problem here. my Ibex link seems to be the right call …

Just to make sure what I am talking about:

1. I do not want to know how many devices are in which batch. I think this may remain a company secret.
  2. I do not want to know how many devices already have been shipped and to whom.
  3. I do not want to know about further technical problems that occured, minor adjustments, etc.

It was pretty clear to me (and I assume to many others) that I will receive my phone in Q3. Than the shipping announcement came and after the famous email I replied to my expectation was to get an answer when my phone will be in my hands.

So the only thing I now want to know from Purism is:

In which batch am I?

And it is pretty disappointing, that they cannot answer.
And honestly: I do not feel this is an information I should search for. It should be delivered. By the way, where to search for? Youtube? Purism forum? Purism L5 FAQ? Developer documentation? Mastodon? No clear communication strategy IMHO.

3 Likes

I would like to know that too - but it has been suggested that the batch sizes are not pre-determined and instead arise dynamically out of the maturing (ramping up) manufacturing process. Without fixed sizes they literally can’t tell you what batch you are in.

3 Likes

That is exactly the point. Only speculations. And trying to anwer central question indirectly via batch sizes and point of time when you ordered.

Hey Purism,
what about updating FAQ like this:

Q: When will I know when my device arrives?
A: We are currently working on a plan to calculate individual delivery. With regards to destination country, choice of modem, production schedule, designated batch slot and desired batch slot we will get back to via Email until xx.xx.xxxx