Installing ExpressVPN on Librem 5

Has anyone had any success installing ExpressVPN on a Librem 5? I tried to install it in the same way that I did on my Librem 15 (using the Ubuntu app package). However, I couldn’t install the app because that package was written for AMD64 architecture and the Librem 5 architecture is AMD64. I’m not supper experienced with Linux, but I’m comfortable on a CLI. I would appreciate any thoughts that lead to a potential solution. Thanks in advance.

ARM64 - but I know it was just a typo.

• Desperate option - try the Raspberry Pi version. It is at least the right architecture (ARM rather than x86).

• Ask ExpressVPN for, say, Debian support on arm64 (aarch64) architecture.

• Try to use a generic OpenVPN client with the instructions provided by ExpressVPN for configuring to use their service.

2 Likes

Thanks very much for the ideas @irvinewade. I’m going to give these a try and see how far I get.

If the RPi client version doesn’t work, and if ExpressVPN provides their OpenVPN config files separated into the CA Cert and User Cert pieces (as opposed to one combined config file), you can use the L5’s Advanced Network Connections app to create the connection and sign into the VPN.

1 Like

Thanks @amarok, I was able to get the VPN up and running using the VPN option in Network Settings along with ExpressVPN’s instructions for setting up OpenVPN.

For someone who reads this and follows the same method, just know that changing VPN servers isn’t as straightforward as it is on the app (which should be obvious). Changing servers will require having the config file for whichever server you want to change to and the username and password provided by ExpressVPN to connect.

As someone who’s not very experienced with these sorts of things I count this as a huge win. There’s a lot to be said for the simple skill of following instructions and the helpful hints from the community :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I once had to do the same thing with a different VPN on my Linux computer. They didn’t have a Linux client, only the usual suspect OSes.
Glad it worked out!

You should be able to create and save multiple server configs and click to a different one when you want. They will all use the same 2 cert files (unless ExpressVPN does things differently from other services). For example, you could create “ExpressVPN Dallas,” “ExpressVPN New York City,” “Express VPN London1,” “ExpressVPN London2,” etc., just changing the server location as appropriate, saved with the certs. Then just choose the one you need from Advanced Network Connections.

You could also subscribe to an additional VPN and have its servers available to select in the same app.

And you can save your username and password so you don’t have to enter it every time.

Bravo, ExpressVPN!

1 Like